Arris SBG 6580 gateway

Old 01-26-17, 12:02 PM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Arris SBG 6580 gateway

Hi All, my gateway has the option to set my wireless network to either 2.4 or 5 Gig, which is best to use and why?
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-17, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did a quick search & the answer seems to be that it depends on what devices are connected to it. Some devices such as an iPhone can't handle 5ghz.

Old 01-27-17, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I only remember as one having longer distance and one doesn't along with faster transmission.

From a netgear kb article:

What is the difference between 2.4 Ghz and 5ghz?
The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. ... Higher frequencies allow faster transmission of data, also known as bandwidth

I have a wifi router andI have both options, why? Because my older laptop (only 3 years old) doesn't have 5ghz antenna yet all other devices have the ability to connect to both 2 and 5.
I dont have a problem with speeds and I am I live in a 2/1 home.

So it's a matter of preference and play around with the settings to see what works best for you in your living area. It doesn't hurt to have one or the other or both on.

NOTE, something I learned this past year is that some baby monitors operate on the 2 frequency and thus cause horrible interference with your connection, you'll be hating your modem, wifi, laptop and your internet provider all while the little monitor sits next to you causing all the ruckus Just in case you have a baby monitor.