loss of computer sound with reboot of system....

Old 04-12-01, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a used system and I had sound when I got the system, but do to problems had to reboot my system. Now I have no sound...I need help. What should I be looking for. I don't receive any error messages. How do I rehook up my sound. I have windows 95 on packard bell system, if that helps. I would really appreciate any help. Wendy

Old 04-12-01, 12:08 PM
BSB
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
check your devices under settings>control panel>system>device manager.....down the list you will find a sound/?? (my fingers know where its at, but my head always seems disconnected) anyhow click on the + next to sound (or multimeadea..you cant miss it.) and look for your sound card. if its not there you need to re-install your sound drivers (and maybe the card if its not plug-n-play) if it has a yellow ! next to it, then you can right click on it and bring up properties and will tell you where (if any) the conflict is.

You may be better off if it does have a ! next to it, to uninstall or remove it, reboot and re-install the drivers when windows asks for em.

*one of these days I will LOOK at the screen when I do things*

Old 04-25-01, 07:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Make sure your sound is enabled in the BIOS. If the sound card is a PCI device, look and make sure that you have PNP enabled in the BIOS as well. If you have an ISA sound card, make sure that you are not conflicting on any IRQ setting with another device. One last thing to check. Make sure your sound is not muted or turned off.

Old 04-26-01, 04:25 AM
Ramie
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb THANKYOU

my 4yo gets on the computer to play her games...and we havent had sound for a while...the only thing I didnt check..was the mute button....aaaaaaaaaah....thankyou again.

Old 04-29-01, 08:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Make sure all the connections are tight and in the right place. Case in point, I did some work on my sisters machine and all was well when it left my desk. I shipped the machine to her, about 500km, thinking job done. A couple of days later I get this panick call from her asking what I did to her machine! The keyboard and mouse no longer worked. These are both PS2 devices, the first thing I asked her to do was shut the machine down, then look at where she had connected the KB and mouse, sure enough she had them backwards. After switching them around she fired the machine up and all was well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: