need wifi on computer in basement

Old 03-07-17, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need wifi on computer in basement

I am thinking I want to put a wireless card in it (an older hp pavilion desktop) so that I can get wifi on a second computer in the basement. I do have a gateway/router box from my cable company.

I looked in my computer and am not sure if I have the pci slot or what kind it is. The white one has a card in it already - on the outside of it is a regular modem port. Here is a picture:Name:  pci slots.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  28.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-17, 09:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You should be able to find a manual online. It will have a picture showing what each slot is. Or just use a USB WIFI adapter. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-781.../dp/B003MTTJOY

https://www.amazon.com/ANEWKODI-600M...GZRTYPP9EGYP70

Old 03-07-17, 10:03 PM
USB is definitely the way to go. However, DON'T use the little tiny "nubbin" adapters on a desktop. The metal in the case being so close to the antenna interferes with the signal and it'll work like crap unless the access point is very close by (and if that were the case, I'd say just run a cable). The best ones to get are the kind that have some kind of external antenna, and come with a "cradle" - basically a USB extension cord with a little plastic base so it can sit up on the desk - away from the tower and all the power cords.

These guys are good, I've used them on lots of computers - and they're cheap.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833166056

And FYI the white port is PCI (if you're not actually using the dial-up modem card for anything other than nostalgia purposes, you can take it out). The black ports are PCIe (PCI Express). They are not cross-compatible with regular PCI. The short ones are "X1" or "Single Lane" ports for things like network adapters, sound cards, host cards, etc. The long one is an "X16" port, which is normally used for a discrete video card (but can really take any X1, X2, X4, X8, or X16 card). So say if the computer were having issues playing high def video with the onboard graphics, you could install a better video card in that long slot, and it would use that instead of the onboard graphics.

Old 03-08-17, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I have used the external USB wireless adapters with great success. Best is if you can find one with an external antenna that can be rotated and angled. You can even find old B/C ones at yard sales or Ebay for really cheap. Their long antenna also makes it easy to make a cardboard and aluminum foil parabolic reflector if you need to increase it's range.

Old 03-11-17, 08:54 AM
Another option may be a power line networking adapter. You need two of them, one connects to the router and the other to your computer. You can find them used on Ebay or buy new.

It's great if your wifi signal isn't the best, many are faster than wifi, and you won't need to put any card in your computer.

Old 03-11-17, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I needed wifi downstairs as well. I pride myself in being able to "run a cable anywhere" but I met my match. So I bought an Amped 2400. That works opposite of a wireless router. It captures the wireless signal & converts it to 5 wired ports. If you need more than 5, add a switch. You can use it's own DHCP
service or continue to use the router's DHCP.

Old 03-11-17, 05:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Powerline networking adapter are best if used on the same leg of the house power so results can vary.

Old 03-12-17, 01:52 PM
Received 49 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by aandpdan
You can find them used on Ebay or buy new.
Some of the old power line adapters also seem to show up fairly often in thriftshops and flea markets.

They're a neat little tool to have.

Depending on your internet service, you might be able to use MOCA,
which is 120 meg ethernet over cable TV wiring.
Old cable TV cable won't work at the full 120 megs speed,
but it might give you 10 megs, more than enough for a workable connection.

Old 03-29-17, 08:31 PM
solved

I ended up using an Edimax N150 Wi-Fi Nano USB Adapter and so far it is working perfectly. A little slow but given it is in the basement, I am ok with it. And it cost $8.95. It was a bit of a hassle getting the driver to work but their customer service was attentive and helpful.

Old 03-30-17, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Now thatís a nice solution - $8.95! Good!!! (can you come work on my stuff? LOL)

Good luck!