Comcast router question

Old 03-22-17, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Comcast router question

Hello
I hope there are some Comcast users here.
I went to check my settings in their gateway router and found my password opened and my key exposed. I was told it might have been a firmware upgrade.
I don't think that is so.
I have temporarily beefed up the password to enter the setup for now but have question;

I used to bridge their router within the gateway then use my own router till it died. Do you recommend I use a router to avoid prying eyes. I cannot find out if Comcast can see on my side of their router.

My old router never had bridging as I just clicked bridging on the Comcast router so I suspect I do not need bridging on my new one I will be getting.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-17, 09:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How did you test that exposure? Was remote administration enabled? Which password was exposed, wifi or the router password?

Old 03-23-17, 10:21 AM
router

I typed 10.0.0.1 in the address bar to bring me to the router within the gateway.
That is when I noticed my security keys were exposed without my even using my log on password.

The security key lay exposed and as I said without my even logging in.
I did log out last time I was there. Someone got past my logon password.

I did not stop remote administration, should I?
*I noticed if I do I am supposed to set up two ports with 4 digits and HTTPS etc. which I cannot do.
I am not skilled in networking, obviously but need security.

I have already ordered a new router. If I learned how to disable remote administration would I still need this new router?

Last edited by peterr; 03-23-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 11:58 AM
That's not how you check for external access. 10.0.0.1 is an internal IP address. Go to whatswmyip.net to find your external IP address. Run your tests on that IP. Port scan it with nmap, to see what ports are opened.

Some basic tests are \\your.ip.address.here or put the IP in the address bar. I can't write a pentesting tutorial here. Remote administration should be disabled. Password protect the web interface. All passwords including wifi should be close to 15 characters. Make sure that the PC requires a password each time that you boot it.

Bas

Old 03-23-17, 12:59 PM
router

The problem is Comcast techs can see my side of the router and break in whenever they want. I set a login password and a strong key but they still can enter. There is a place to disable management from entering but it is complicated.

Old 03-23-17, 04:37 PM
That's not what you said in your original post. Where did you hear about techs snooping passwords? What's the make & model of the modem? Now that I think about it, I had Comcast when I lived in Florida. I also had a cisco router between their modem & all the PCs in the house. Besides Comcast having exclusive rights in the gated community, there weren't any other problems.

Old 03-24-17, 06:47 AM
update

After chatting with Comcast and after having gone back to my router, I learned that they cannot see my side of the router and need my log in to do so.
They cannot explain why, when I typed 10.0.0.1 I saw my router wide open to the world. The likely explanation is that I forgot to logout the last time I was there. I find that hard to believe as I am very careful about security but we all make mistakes.
I cancelled the order for another router which would bridge theirs and feel confident I am relatively secure.

I use a gateway b/c I have need for the telephone,VOIP, and a modem with router. otherwise I would have my own modem and router.

BTW, what is that large plug in the telephone port of the gateway - does it convert analog to digital? Could it be RJ 45 or RJ 11? It is a tan plug which goes into the phone port and on the back side it has two ports; one to a splitter for the phone and printer and the otherto the land line.

Old 03-24-17, 12:45 PM
The likely explanation is that I forgot to logout the last time I was there
Are you sure that you set a password for the web interface?

I use a gateway b/c I have need for the telephone,VOIP, and a modem with router. otherwise I would have my own modem and router.
That doesn't make sense either. Every device has a gateway. If it didn't, you couldn't connect to the internet or anything else for that matter.

Old 03-24-17, 01:32 PM
router

My gateway which contains a router and modem is fine and I think the thread is closed.
Thanks to those who helped.

Old 03-24-17, 02:58 PM
Thanks to those who helped.
I guess that would be me. I was the only person who answered.