how to install driver for older HP printer in windows 10?

Old 03-26-17, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to install driver for older HP printer in windows 10?

I have an HP 842C printer and would like to use it on a new computer that I have. I have the installation disc but it says it can't run that app on new computer. What can I do to get around that? I also have an 895Cse that I am using on another computer that is running windows 10 so I know it can work. Just don't know how. The 895Cse was on Win7 then I upgraded to 10. Didn't have to do anything.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-17, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
According to their website, that model is no longer supported. It's been my experience that if you can't find an updated driver, it just no longer works and there's no way around it.
Printers can be pretty cheap nowadays and probably best to buy a newer model.

Old 03-26-17, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
The ladie is correct. Your software is likely not compatible with the newer OS, therefore it wont work with it. Normally, you would just download newer version of the software from HP that is compatible with the newer OS but since HP no longer provides new software for the printer, you're kinda out of luck. Therefore, time to buy a new printer.

As ladie noted, printers are relatively inexpensive now. I just looked at Office depot's site & looked at this weeks sale paper & they have printers starting at $50. Several at $60...
Office Depot Weekly Ad – low prices on office supplies, office furniture, office products

Old 03-26-17, 07:38 AM
Your printer is supported according to HP. The link is here: HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers | HP Customer Support

It wants to use the "windows update driver." Directions are on the page.

Old 03-26-17, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
I beg to differ. All the printers shown on that link are models 1000 and up. Anything under is not supported and here's the page to check it out: HP Retired Products | HP Customer Support

Old 03-26-17, 09:24 AM
Scroll down under HP Deskjet printers.

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-17, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Lots of luck on that one. If you click on the link, it only takes you to the "how to install a driver" page.

Old 03-26-17, 10:21 AM
Seems like there has to be a way to make it work since the same style printer which is 895Cse is hooked up and running on my other computer. I tried changing the compatability settings on the setup file but that didn't help. I will keep on it. I like this printer and I only print in grayscale. Ink is cheap and lasts a long time. Any more ideas on what to try just let me know.

Old 03-26-17, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
This is the link where you are supposed to be able to download the software/driver(s) for that printer. However, from this point, when you click the referenced link to go to the download link, it takes you to the next page for a link there but that link brings you back to this page. It just seems to go around & around without any real link to download the software.

It may very well be a discontinued model or the software is no longer supported, so the download has been removed. I've been around & around with this support section for this printer without any luck of getting to the software/driver download. You might want to give it a try. Good luck.

Select a product - HP Support Center

Old 03-26-17, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
That's what I've been saying. If you go here (list of retired products) HP Retired Products | HP Customer Support you'll see that printer listed. It says then you will no longer find anything on their website about it.

Old 03-26-17, 10:57 AM
Microsoft supplies a driver, not HP.

This link takes you to the installation process using the MS driver:
HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver | HP Customer Support