Rescuing old netbook screen with new controller with HDMI conector

Old 03-31-17, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rescuing old netbook screen with new controller with HDMI conector

Hello, I have rescued a 7'' screen 20000938-00 AT070TN90 V.1 from and old netbook. Doing a search I can see that screen is quite common.

I bought a controller board in Ali Express (this one).

When I try to connect it in (what I think is) the correct position the screen stays all black (off), if I turn the flat cable upside down the screen shows a message "No signal", so at least in this position electricity is arriving to the screen. If I plug another screen I can see things, so I'm sure the device is sending an image.

I attach 2 images with the position I'm using. Am I doing it wrong? Is the controller not valid?

Name:  BLACK-SCREEN.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  34.6 KBName:  NO-SIGNAL.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  29.8 KB

Thank you

PS: The current I'm using is 9V with the correct + and - plug

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-17, 10:55 AM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
A quick check suggests the screen only does low resolution of 800 x 480.
The HDMI suggests HD 1920 x 1080 or half HD at 1280 x 720.
So my first guess is that whatever image you're sending is too high a resolution,
the 7" screen at 800 x 480 won't display a signal sent at higher resolution.
Try changing the resolution of the image on the device sending the image.
Usually right click the background, choose monitors....

Old 03-31-17, 02:29 PM
Is this the same board? If so where are you using 9V? Seems like 12V is required – or maybe I misunderstand where 9V is used (or maybe the wrong board)

http://www.vslcd.com/Specification/VS-TY2662-V1.pdf

Old 04-03-17, 01:21 AM
If this is the case I have a problem then, my laptop only offers options 88x600 and 720x576 while this screen is supposed to be 800x480, I tried also in a Raspberry Pi and only offers 1080xsomething resolution or auto.

Old 04-03-17, 02:38 AM
@zoesdad, you're right but the seller told me I can even use 5V, I'd like to use an addapted USB for power supply.

Old 04-03-17, 08:02 AM
Well, I plugged it to a different raspberry pi with 720x480 px resolution (60 Hz) and still black screen, I'll try to get a 12V adapter but reading specs with more detail you can see 9V should be enough.

BTW, do you know if I can stay logged in in this forum? it keeps logging me out every hour or so...

Old 04-03-17, 08:48 AM
I’m no electronics guy but it seems to me when the spec describes “Interface 5 - Power Supply Input Connector” (page 4) they don’t give any tolerance – it is just specified at 12V, but certainly there has to be some tolerance. However I thought when not specified the default tolerance was small – like a few percent, usually 5%. But I’m not sure.

Here is a link which verifies what you said, it shows input voltage range 5-18V. But I wonder where the seller is getting that information from. It seems to contradict the spec for the board. The ebay picture labels the input power connectors as “1” and “1” at 5-18V. But the spec in the same picture labels the same connectors as “1” and “12” and specifies 12V.

Why not try 12V and see what happens. When you say the details in the spec indicate 9V should be enough, what details are you talking about? Not saying you’re wrong – I’d just like to learn some more.

HDMI VGA 2AV Remote Lcd controller Board VS-TY2662-V1 work for lots of LCD panel | eBay

Old 04-04-17, 03:06 AM
I think you're right, I was reading another PDF file which I thoguth I had linked in my post, but searching for it now I think I was referring to screen specs, not controller. Well, I'll try to find a 12V adapter, I didn't find one yet.

Old 04-04-17, 12:51 PM
If you get some time post back with your results. Good luck, hope you get it working!!

Old 04-05-17, 03:15 AM
Well, I found a 12V adapter, the same situation occurs, in short:

- Input 12V
- Screen resolution: 720x480, 60 Hz

If I plug the 50 pin flat cable with the metal up, screen shows a NO SIGNAL, then goes all blue and finally black. If I plug the 50 pin flat cable with the metal down (the correct position I think) the screen stays black all the time.

Any ideas? Maybe the controller is simply not working?

Old 04-05-17, 10:21 AM
pan-

It does seem then that the controller board must have a problem.

If you –

(1) lowered the resolution as was suggested in a previous post (which looks like you did to 720 x 480)

(2) used another screen and verified that the HDMI output from your computer is good (which you did)

(3) and you know the notebook screen is good (seems like you know that)

then it seems to me that the problem must be that controller board OR maybe the cable. It doesn’t seem like you have verified that the 50-pin cable is good (or maybe you have).

I think if you see “No Signal” that tells you the cable is connected properly. I don’t think there is any way you will see “No Signal” if the cable is on backwards. I think you would see a blank screen if the cable is on backwards– which you do when you turn the cable the other way.