Router cutting signal strength in half.....

Old 04-02-17, 06:15 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Router cutting signal strength in half.....

I stumbled onto a problem recently when I was having modem issues. I contacted my ISP (it's their router) and when conducting a speed test of wired vs wireless, I found my 1 year old router is only producing half of the signal strength that the wired connection is. I realize wired will always be faster but this wasn't always the case. Both modem and router are about 1 year old. This is an issue on both Mac and Windows platforms.

I've looked for frayed wires from the outside box in and found nothing, all connections are solid. I checked for channel interference and found I'm the only one on the channel I'm on compared to my neighbors. We have actually reduced the number of devices on our network, nothing new has occurred so I'm a bit stumped. Signal strength is at 100% on both modem and router.

Any idea what I could check next or change? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 04-02-17, 08:29 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
When you say "signal strength", what exactly are you referring to? The number of bars on your wireless devices or the actual speed you're getting on wireless (I'm guessing you're referring to the speed)? Nothing wrong with wired speed?

What are the brands/model numbers of the the modem and router (are they two separate boxes or a modem/router combo)? Have you tried rebooting them?

If it is a wireless speed issue with no problem on the wired side, no settings have been changed, and it continues after a reboot, then it is most likely an issue with the radio in the router.

Old 04-02-17, 08:32 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Let's start from beginning. What's the make & model of both the modem & the router? Who is the ISP? Have you shut down everything & rebooted in the following order, modem, router, all devices?
Is your printer also wireless? Disconnect it. Do I understand you correctly, the wired connections are okay but the wireless are slow? Is your neighbor having a problem too? I didn't understand why he was mentioned.

Old 04-02-17, 08:37 AM
T
Is your neighbor having a problem too? I didn't understand why he was mentioned.
All he said was that he was the only one on that particular channel vs. his neighbors. If you're in an apartment building or your neighbors are otherwise really close and everyone is on the same channel (lots of routers default to channel 6), it can affect wifi speed.

Old 04-02-17, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
@taz..... you need to realize you may have both posted at the same time and his reply was probably not based on your reply.

Old 04-02-17, 11:49 AM
T
??? Yeah we posted at the same time, and we both said pretty much the same thing.. But I understood why the neighbor was mentioned, so I just clarified it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: