onedrive

Old 04-18-17, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
onedrive

When on my online folder for Onedrive I click share and see a pik and a document I don't remember sharing although I could have.
I also lost a file.
How do you unshare unless it already is. I have watched all the tutorials and instructions but can't get it. Could someone tell me about this issue.
When I see a pik in shared online, is it me and I am OK or is it shared with someone?
As you can see I need some help.
I could try to send a print screen if you wish.
I guess what I am saying is that there are 2 files in the o.l. share folder. I don't know who they are shared with. I guess I am concerned about privacy too.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-17, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you don't know who has access to your files, I suggest that you disable file sharing until you study sharing. Right click on the drive, left click on sharing or go to properties then sharing. See if the drive is shared. If it is shared, see who is listed & what permissions they have. What version of windows are you using?

Old 04-18-17, 12:39 PM
one drive

I am at a desktop. I can access the Onedrive from phones, Chromebook or my desktop. When you say right click on the drive, which should I be using?

Old 04-18-17, 12:48 PM
capture

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  18.9 KB

I hope this desktop view helps. I can also see my online drive if I choose to. Which do I do what you suggest?

Old 04-18-17, 01:10 PM

Maybe I am just sharing these two files I referred to I see online with myself.

Old 04-18-17, 03:10 PM
In the Onedrive properties box that shown above on desktop, left click share. It will tell you if it is shared at all.

Old 04-18-17, 04:19 PM
properties

I do not see a properties box. What you see with Onedrive,as you know, depends upon what you are using to view it.
I will look for properties.

Old 04-18-17, 04:25 PM
properties

I right clicked one of the files on the desktop Onedrive then clicked share to see the path etc. Please see the capture.

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-17, 04:26 PM
What do you mean you don't see the properties box? You posted a picture of it, in post #4!

Old 04-19-17, 05:14 AM
inxperienced

I was trying to tell you I am not good at this but am trying to learn the cloud as my wife has a Chromebook and I have a PC.

Believe me I am experimenting and reading but find the sharing confusing.
To my knowledge I did not share bu here are two files there in the shared folder.

I do see, online, that it says "shared by me". Does that mean I am not sharing with someone else?
It throws me off because it says 'b'y not 'with'.

So from what you have seen am I securely shared or do you need more information?

Old 04-19-17, 07:46 AM
I didn't mean to make fun of your skills. Go back to the properties that you posted in post #4. Click on sharing. Tell me what it says. Do the same with advanced sharing. When a drive, folder or file is shared, it can be shared to various groups. For example, the everyone group. That means anyone on the network. It can be shared to only certain users or just administrators. No matter who has permissions to read, write or execute it, the share should be password protected. That way if someone from outside the network connects to your network, they will be prompted for a user name & password.

If you are totally new to networking, get some books from the library. For example, Windows For Dummies is a good start.

Old 04-19-17, 08:31 AM
onedrive

I am on my phone now. You did not offend me. I am thankful for the help. I did look at share and advance but saw no indication of anyone mentioned other than myself. It seemed it was shared to me.
I will continue to practice and to watch videos at YouTube.
Thank you

Old 04-19-17, 03:28 PM
No matter what, make sure that everything is password protected.

Old 04-19-17, 04:43 PM
password

Yes, all my sites are password protected. Did anything I said make sense to you?

Old 04-19-17, 05:28 PM
It seemed it was shared to me.
That didn't make sense.

Old 04-20-17, 04:22 AM
shared

"It seemed it was shared to me."

Thanks - what I meant was when I click the 'shared' selection of OneDrive, it shows 2 files. That indicates it is saying I shared something.

No matter what I click on it, says 'me' but no one else.

I guess I don't know why those files are in the 'shared' section if I never shared them. I know one of them I would never share as only I use it. The other is just a photo.

As I said the view is different whether you use a phone, Chromebook or desktop. I am basically using a desktop but Onedrive is working through the browser.
It is not installed in the PC as I find that when it is installed it slows the machine down too much.

Old 04-20-17, 08:09 AM
Let me do some research on onedrive & I'll post again later.

Old 04-20-17, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
No one can actually share your files unless they're in your network and/or have your password.

In the meantime, if you go in File Explorer, scroll down to OneDrive, right-click on it, hover on "Share with" in the drop down menu, and pick "stop sharing".

Old 04-20-17, 09:04 AM
File explorer

I am on the phone but when home will do the file revolt check - thanks

Old 04-20-17, 09:35 AM
No matter what I click on it, says 'me' but no one else.
That means that you are the only user on that computer who has access. That's okay. If other users on other machines have access, go to each computer or device & look at the shares.

No one can actually share your files unless they're in your network and/or have your password.
Yes & no. Cloud security is another story. Entry points are not only from inside the network. We'll leave that for another thread.