Looking for a 24 port switch/router combo

Old 04-25-17, 09:09 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for a 24 port switch/router combo

Hi,

I'm looking for a 24 port switch/router combo for my small office (with lots of devices). I'm looking for something that I can plug my fiber internet (Ethernet connection basically like what comes off a DSL router) into and give all devices internet access. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-17, 09:51 AM
P
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If you already have a router but need more ports, then just buy a switch. If you don't have anything yet, I would still aim for a cheap switch with a separate router. If you want a combined unit, you are talking something commercial - not residential. You describe a small office so do you really need that type of power?

- peter

Old 04-26-17, 10:16 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 100 Posts
I would agree with exactly what Peter said. All home routers are 1 incoming WAN port and 4 local ports. If you need more, simply purchase s 24-port switch and connect to the local ports on the router.

Easy peasy!

Old 04-28-17, 11:05 AM
R
Sorry I was not clear...I am looking for something for a small commercial office.

Old 04-28-17, 12:34 PM
P
Again, if you are just doing email, web browser and sharing files, a cheap 24 port switch and a "good" home router will be just fine. If you feel you need more than that, please explain. We can't give a better answer without more info.

- Peter

Old 04-28-17, 12:46 PM
P
Here is a good article to learn about types of network switches to see what features you might need and understand which types you might be comfortable configuring.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/pro...cd806c7afe.pdf

- Peter

Old 05-12-17, 07:03 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes you were very clear. Small office, etc. There isn't a good option for a "24 port router / switches". It doesn't exist and never has. I've been in IT for 25+ years.

The simple solution, assuming you already HAVE a wireless router is just use that and get a 24 port Gigabit switch.

If you do NOT have a router, get a good one like a Linksys EA6300 (supports newest 802.11 AC standard, in addition to older stuff). It has 4 GB ports - connect one of those to the 24 port Ethernet unmanaged GB switch.

Here are good switch options:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...ce=100&x=0&y=0