Old Apple Airport Extreme as WiFi extender?

Old 04-29-17, 11:40 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
Old Apple Airport Extreme as WiFi extender?

I have an old Apple Extreme 802.11b that I would like to use to extend a WiFi network. The problem is that I cannot access the Airport to configure it. The current versions of Airport Utility do not work with this old model and the previous versions of Airport Admin Utility that is required will not run on my current OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 operating system.

Any suggestions? It is even possible to configure a 802.11b Airport to relay a WiFi signal and act as an extender?

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-17, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...irport-extreme

According to the reviews on that sits, it's not worth it.

Old 04-30-17, 09:39 AM
(patch these links into browser address bar - you get redirection otherwise)

If you read this it certainly looks like you could set it up as an extender, but as pointed out, and something you probably already know, using the device as an extender will decrease throughput.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204617

It looks like the ďAirport UtilityĒ will also run on Windows. Anyone have a Windows system in your house? Looks like you can download an older Airport Utility which runs on XP/Vista/W7. Maybe the oldest version available for Windows might be compatible with your device Ė that is, if you have access to a Windows PC.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1391?...B&locale=en_GB

Old 05-01-17, 08:30 AM
I should have added as a reminder on the last post that 802.11n is backward compatible and supports 802.11b Ė that is, the link to 802.11n setup on the last post is relevant.

Old 05-02-17, 10:08 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
It certainly looks doable but I don't have access to Windows and unless I can come up with a workaround to configure my Airport I probably will need another solution.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish. My daughter has WiFi in her vacation house that is 100 feet away from my vacation house. She has offered to let us use her WiFi for our occasional use but the signal is not quite strong enough. If we go to her deck we can log into her network and the signal is OK to the edge of our deck but not inside the house. I am looking for an extender or booster that will pick up her signal near our house and extend it for our use.

Any ideas or equipment suggestions?

Old 05-02-17, 10:16 AM
Sometimes the router just has to be moved a few feet. It can't be on the floor. 100 feet is still within a decent range. I use an Amped 2400. It takes the wireless signal & turns it into 4 wired signals.

Old 05-03-17, 09:07 AM
2john-

Iíve seen reviews which say the Amped Wireless REC10 is also a good choice but I havenít used them myself, nor have I used extenders or boosters of any kind, so I'm no expert for sure.

I donít know where you would place an extender though. They need power and you are talking about 2 different buildings. I think you are supposed to place the extender about halfway between the source and the equipment that is receiving the poor signal Ė but I think that is how itís done when used inside a building.

I think you can use something like this for outdoor use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...709c1d8e6e6b8b

If you could lay a cable between the two houses maybe in buried pvc pipe I think maybe that would be the best solution. Itís only 100 feet, but maybe thatís not doable in your case.

Old 05-03-17, 04:40 PM
100 ft. cable buried or not is better than any extender that you can buy. I used a 100 ft. cable across a courtyard & it worked well.