My RAM capacity is not listed Properly in WIN 98

Old 04-30-01, 01:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a Celeron 500 based PC with WIN 98(first edition) and 64MB RAM. But when I goto the properties of My Computer it shows only 56MB of RAM.And My PC is also Very slow than my friend's PC which is of sme config as mine.How to make my RAM as 64MB from 56MB?(My bios lists it correctly as 64MB)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-01, 04:49 AM
BSB
do you have 1 stick of memory, or using a mix and match? how long has it displayed incorrect mem value? new or used?

Old 04-30-01, 10:43 AM
Visiting Guest
I have only one stick of memory.Mine is a new one and I have it in 810 mother board .My friend tells me that it's due to the inbuilt Video card that takes up the RAM. I want to know how to decrease the amount of Mem used by the Video card?

Old 04-30-01, 11:44 AM
BSB
oh, that makes sense, 8mg shared video ram...I think that hard set in the onboard video (cant be changed) you have 4 options.
1. upgrade mem/purchase another stick of mem 64 or128 pc100 or 133.
2. purchase video card and disable onboard video.

3. combine options 1 and 2. (you will be happier if you choose this route, your 8mb video will be the bottle neck of your system, regaurdless how much mem you stick in it)

4. Grudgingly except things as they are.

you could also try a memboosting program, such as softram, ramboost, etc, but I dont know how much of a performance difference you will notice.

If you get "computer user" in your town/city you can find decent prices and mem and video, if you buy from retail you will spend more then the whole-in-the-wall computer stores (but they do offer good merchandise) You can also find good deals on http://www.pricewatch.com and http://www.pricegrabber.com but then you have to pay the shipping charges. (ouch!) there are a few online places that offer no shipping and handling, one is http://www.z-buy.com you pay a little bit more for the goods, but dont get in the rear in shipping charges.

Brian

p.s. if you dont use system for graphics, you can get a 8mb vid card off ebay for next to nothing.

Old 05-01-01, 06:07 AM
If you computer is performing well, then don't worry about what windows is reporting, and move on. I would let the video card operate as it should and if that card requires using part of your main ram then live with it, or add extra ram.

I have one computer that is actually indicating 64 meg more memory than what it is actually in it, however the available ram checks out. Haven't bothered to find the reason , as it works fine , so I am not concerned over it.

Old 05-01-01, 06:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Win98 will run on only 32 megs RAM, but very slow. 96 megs is better, but not great. 128 is much better as is anything higher. RAM is so inexpensive now, buy some.

Search this Thread