EDO RAM Availability

Old 04-30-01, 05:20 AM
Cool

I have a four year system, Pentium Pro180 with 64 mb ram, still runs fine, but would like to upgrade to 128mb ram. Problem is, 72 pin, non-parity, 60ns EDO RAM seems to be much more expensive than the new stuff. I must install chips in pairs, so I need either two 64's, or four 32's.

I currently have four 16's.

Does anyone know where I can get cheap chips? Would be glad to trade my 16's.

Locally, 32's sell for $90. $ 360 doesn't seem like a wise purchase..

Thanks,

Brett

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-01, 05:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Your right, the price of older style EDO seems much higher. I would check a used computer store, or repair shop. Another place you could try would be Ebay. Also check the classifieds in your local paper, sometimes you can pick up some sweet deals.

Old 04-30-01, 07:13 AM
I ran into the same problem, I found it was cheaper and easilier to replace the motherboard and get dimms then it was to replace simms. I had a pentium 166mmx and found a new motherbaord with a socket 7 , dimm memory, used the same cpu that performed better then trying to locate and get extra simm memory.

64 megs of memory is not that bad, and if your computer is working fine , why go to the expense, what until you can upgrade the motherboard/memory or get a second computer , if you have children a second computer will always come in handy.

Old 05-01-01, 06:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Yup - I use two Socket 7 machines here and they both use DIMM or SIMM. One, the TYAN Trinity AT100 can use both at the same time if running a processor which requires less than the 100 mhz front-side bus. Like yours.

Get a new motherboard, upgrade the processor, get the DIMM and join the 21st century.