dead HD

Old 05-07-17, 10:25 AM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
dead HD

Sunday morning, not scheduled to work, lots of time to post on forums about a number of subjects.

My main desktop computer hard drive crapped out last night. Won't spin up. So I'm trying the freeze it trick and maybe get lucky and at least get a few files off it. All my important stuff is off line or cloud stored so I'm not too concerned about data loss. But I do have a concern about the OS. No I do not have a back-up image (I know, learn the hard way, and I'm lazy about that kind of thing), and I cannot find my Win 10 repair disk.

So if I buy a new hard drive will MS allow me to reload the OS from an ISO burned image or if I decide to build a new computer (mother board and all) will I be able to load WIN 10? Or do I need to purchase a new WIN 10 license?

I'm also considering buy a pre-built unit.

BTW...what is the current latest and greatest CPU's from AMD and Intel. Do not need gaming quality buy I do want CAD ability.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-17, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
I think you have to call them to reuse Win10 on a new hard drive (if you're able) to get another product key (at least I think, not 100% sure).

As for the latest and greatest, I bought a new laptop recently, and wanted something with some oomph to it, but didn't need a gaming PC either, so here's what mine has:
An Intel Core 7 7500U CPU @ 2.70 GHz 2.90 GHz with 12 GB Ram

I got a really good price on it so I went for it!

Old 05-07-17, 12:07 PM
So an Intel Core 7 is the current high end CPU. I'll need to check out AMD. The last several computers I've had or built have used the AMD units. I suppose I could just buy another HDD and install it, but my unit is getting old. On the plus side I built it so it has just what I wanted with lots of USB ports both fore and aft, HDMI ports and a graphics card to take two screens. Decent sound card.

Building another one is no great feat, it's just assembly work. The hard part is gaining current knowledge, planning the parts for compatibility and doing sharp shopping to get the best bang for the buck and spending the time to do it all. Cost I think is pretty a wash. I spend more on components but I get exactly what I want with a slight increase in quality. Prebuilt is done and ready to go.

Choices, choices choices

Old 05-07-17, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can reinstall Win10 from a burned ISO or USB. It will activate automatically once you connect to the internet (in certain rare cases you may need to log into your microsoft account first). Your install key is valid until you make changes substantial enough to change the hardware hash to the point that it won't automatically activate (usually when you change the CPU and GPU simulatneously). It can still be activated by phone in this situation. The only way you CAN'T reactivate it is if you change the motherboard.

Old 05-07-17, 01:29 PM
The only way you CAN'T reactivate it is if you change the motherboard.
Yes, that now makes me remember. I don't understand why but I suppose they figure you can claim bad MB and copy over and over.

Old 05-07-17, 01:52 PM
OEM keys (the kind installed by manufacturers and available on the gray market for about $50 less than retail) are locked to the first machine they are activated on. They can not be moved to another machine (the motherboard has been defined as what constitutes the machine). They do make exceptions for identical board replacement in case of failure, but you actually have to talk to someone in India and plead your case, you can't do it via the IVR.

Retail keys (the kind that come in the plastic case at a store [or from the Microsoft store] and include tech support) cost more but they can be deactivated from one machine and installed on a completely different machine.

Old 05-07-17, 02:06 PM
This unit is a win 10 grade from win 8 back when the give away was in process.

My freeze trick has partial success. The drive is trying spin up and it even registers for a moment on disk management (I have tied into my laptop via usb) screen before it tries to restart again. I figure I'll let it go and maybe it will catch. Once it catches I'll be able move off files to the laptop. So close yet so far.

Old 05-07-17, 02:11 PM
The free upgrade is considered an OEM activation.

Old 05-07-17, 02:21 PM
So as far as a replacement HDD goes is a good chance or poor chance of free install of OS?

Old 05-07-17, 02:28 PM
So I got the drive to come up for several minutes. But it won't show my files. It show some files that are for iTunes and things, but not my system files.

Also the disk management shows the unit be healthy. If it can't properly read why is it showing as healthy partitions? I also had SMART disk enabled on this unit but no warning was given.

Old 05-07-17, 03:40 PM
Yes you'll be able to reinstall for free. It has to be the same version (regular or pro), but you can change from x86 to x64 if you need to (say if the original Win8 was 32 bit, you can clean install Win10 64 bit).

You will want to create a DVD or USB from the latest version using the Media Creation Tool (there was just a major upgrade released a couple weeks ago). Then just boot to the DVD/USB, select your options, and install. It *SHOULD* install most/all of your drivers automatically. Connect it to your network, and it should automatically perform your activation.

The freezer trick is completely hit or miss. You happen to have had the kind of failure that it works for (spindle motor bearing failure), but what if any files it can read if it comes back is a complete roll of the dice.

Disk Management only reports the health of the file system. It may appear healthy to the OS since it can read something, but it doesn't mean anything really.

SMART can only warn of errors that it can foresee based on certain parameters. If the spindle bearing failed suddenly and didn't drag down the spin-up time into the warning threshold in the days before the failure, it can't warn you. SMART is a lot better at predicting failure of the drive due to platter damage than spindle motor/bearing failure or catastrophic head failure.

Old 05-08-17, 01:05 AM
From what I remember when the upgrade came if you had Windows 8 or Windows 7 that was your activation for Windows 10. What you need is first your Windows 8 disk and then a Windows 10 disk that you can make from Microsoft the last time I checked which was last year. So my knowledge is a bit old on the subject but it is worth a try to get a free copy from Microsoft.

As to the freezer trick I tried that too and for me it was a big waste of time. Freezing the hard drive creates moisture inside the drive and it actually can make things worse. There are people who swear by it and say it works for them though, all I can say is that with just my first and last try it failed.

Old 05-08-17, 04:28 PM
What you need is first your Windows 8 disk and then a Windows 10 disk that you can make from Microsoft the last time I checked which was last year.
Wrong. It was never like that. You never needed a disk from a previous version. Once the digital entitlement license is registered on Microsoft's servers (which was done upon completion of the upgrade), it can be clean-installed on that machine as many times as needed.