Login

Old 05-11-17, 02:14 PM
Login

Perhaps someone can tell me why I must login every time I go onto the DIY website. I haven't been on it for some time but now when I enter it always has me login. Thanks,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-17, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
The techs are working on it.

Old 05-11-17, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Give them time. They are still working on scripts.

Old 05-11-17, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
No, it's nothing to do with scripts!

Old 05-11-17, 05:02 PM
Thank you. I didn't know there were problems.

Old 05-11-17, 06:09 PM
Upvotes Received: 40
If you use something like DASHLANE or other resident password manager, it will take care of itself.

Old 05-11-17, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think so Norm, but I don't use Dashlane, but I have some sort of password manager that remembers for each site. In FF maybe..I dunno, I just use it.

It's not the username and password thing so much, those show up filled in, but I still have to hit log-in twice if I'm inactive for more than 30 min or so (haven't timed it).

(If I close the tab, or do a restart, I'm still logged in when I come back, as long as it's within the time frame. I assume ernie is experiencing similar.)

Last edited by Gunguy45; 05-11-17 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Corrected last statement, I do not stay logged in, but I used to.
Old 05-11-17, 06:44 PM
Upvotes Received: 9
The techs are working on it.
They have been working on it for some time now with no improvement. I have no idea how this stuff works but do question how hard it could be for the techs to correct this issue.

Old 05-11-17, 06:47 PM
I never paid attention to the timing or the number of times I tend to log in and out. I assume your right but I have not noticed any problems on my end.

Old 05-11-17, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, look at Microsoft...some of the smartest people in the business and they constantly send updates and fixes. Main difference is they don't give a darn if it's right or not.

I'm sure our guys are banging their heads against the walls trying to get this to work with that and still having that functionality w/o losing this feature.

In my experience, corporate IT is a pretty thankless job. People just expect it to work right and when it doesn't who gets the stinkeye? When it does, you never hear of them getting emails saying thanks for maintaining things.

For me it's not a huge deal, 2 extra clicks and it's pretty much back to normal fun and games.

Old 05-12-17, 03:43 AM
Agreed._________________________________________

Old 05-12-17, 07:03 AM
I don't recommend clicking "remember me" or using any program that stores passwords. If someone dumps the SAM file, there go your passwords. Plus, it isn't a solution to the site being compatible to every version of every browser. I don't have to any problems here. My connection never gets interrupted. I use Firefox.

Old 05-15-17, 08:34 PM
>> I use Firefox.

Off-topic - but you may wish to consider trying out Waterfox (essentially a 64 bit firefox). FF now has 64 bit but that wasn't always the case and WF allowed me to enjoy all the multiple sessions and tabs that suits my research style.

This is the first browser I've used that actually let me push very close to the system memory limit (16 GB) before starting to choke out.

Note: there will be the rare site that "doesn't like" the WF user agent but that is also true of FF, and you'll just use Chrome/IE (gasp) for a very few sites. Some of these sites won't give "good error messages" / some will. Mileage varies ...

Old 05-15-17, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Note: there will be the rare site that "doesn't like" the WF user agent but that is also true of FF, and you'll just use Chrome/IE (gasp) for a very few sites. Some of these sites won't give "good error messages" / some will. Mileage varies ...
I use chrome as well as countless others. I have no issues.

I take it that your "gasp" is your opinion that you dislike chrome/IE

Old 05-15-17, 10:42 PM
LOL Waterfox. The version that lets Firefox's memory leaks (which have been a problem for a decade) get so out of control that they can crash your entire system. The 32 bit memory wall is the only thing that has kept it limited to only eating up 3GB.

Old 05-15-17, 11:47 PM
>> I take it that your "gasp" is your opinion that you dislike chrome/IE

LOL. Oh I like Chrome well enough. IE is ok I suppose; it was behind the times for a very long time. I don't see a point to using more than two browsers and Chrome is my backup.

Old 05-16-17, 12:05 AM
I can only tell you my experience with waterfox for perhaps 2.5 - 3 years - sheer joy. Love it. I'll have to try 64 bit FF now that it's been around a while.

Old 05-16-17, 04:00 AM
I don't recommend clicking "remember me" or using any program that stores passwords. If someone dumps the SAM file, there go your passwords.
So how does one remember 50 plus passwords without a manager? Oh, keep the same one for all sites? Or maybe modify it by one character?

Old 05-16-17, 06:32 AM
Don't use the same password & user name for everything. To remember many passwords, you take the first letter of each word of a saying or song. Let's say you use the Beatles song, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. You could make
L17swd123. Let's say you have an account with Chase. Now you have ChaseL17swd123. Same for Bank Of America.
BoaL7swdq123 No one will guess that password & it would take years to brute force plus you can remember it

Old 05-16-17, 09:35 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
I do similar to what donoli just suggested and I make them long. Long I believe is a top priority, within the limits the sites will allow. And then just in case I keep a book with all passwords clearly explained. For myself, the passwords are not needed to keep friends or family out of my frequently visited sites just the hackers. If I want a bank access to remain private I have a modification that only I know and keep in my safe.

Bud

Old 05-16-17, 10:25 AM
Jefferson, I just noticed you waterfox recommendation. I'll look at it.

Bud, I agree that long passwords are important. 13 to 15 characters. Over 15 can be a problem for windows.