adding switches to my router

Old 05-11-17, 06:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding switches to my router

I'd like to know if I can use 2 switches with my router. I want to run a cable from my router to my Den and connect a switch to connect to my TV, DVD player and my cable box. I also wnt to run a cable to my basement and connect a computer, ,TV, DVD player and an Xbox. Will this work? Will this setup, if possibe slow down my internet speed? I have 50/50 internet speed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-17, 06:50 PM
B
It will work no problem, just plug each switch into your main router like any other PC and plug the cables to the switches into the regular ports on those switches; you don't use the wan port at all on the switches.

You can even use old routers as switches doing the same thing but make sure DHCP server is turned of on them and they run as switches.

I did this to get my two PC's in and upstairs bedroom connected to my main router down stairs.

Name:  0603161110a.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  13.5 KB

Old 05-11-17, 06:58 PM
B
Thanks for the prompt reply. I may have some old wireless routers lying around. I might give those a try before I buy the switches.

Old 05-12-17, 07:12 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a lot of configuration that you need to do on those routers even if you use them as a test.

Old 05-12-17, 07:42 AM
B
Thumbs up

Configuration is not my thing. I'm a simple plug and play person. Not good with this stuff. I'll buy a switch. Thnks for the heads up.

Old 05-12-17, 06:51 PM
J
A perhaps simpler solution is using wireless routers as a wireless bridges. They typically come with 4 ethernet ports, to facilitate local ethernet connections in that basic area.

That's what I would do - upgrade your primary router to something like a Linksys EA6300 refurbished for $45 (amazon), then move your current router to one of the remote locations and configure it in bridge mode (it'll be clear from the Web GUI how to do it. Truly this stuff is a snap.

If you do run cat 5e wires instead ... do NOT put ends directly on them - terminate them on a block. The use manufactured cables for everything. This minimizes the chance of having issues of loss, etc at the cable ends. Here's a good option:

https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Key...ds=cat+5e+jack

Good luck!

Old 05-13-17, 07:50 AM
B
Basically sort of a wifi extender that is hardwired to my router? Inresting! Cableing is already in place at the 2 locations I am thinking about putting a switch. My router is leased so I can't move that. I just wanted to know if I can us a switch at 2 locations since a cable is alredy there. I prefer hardwire over wifi when possible.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-14-17, 03:32 AM
J
Oh sure if the cables are already there, you can just connect switches to them. It's usually best to connect to the uplink port on the switch - there will be a small push button switch next to that port, to allow use of a crossover or straight-through cable.

Old 06-10-17, 10:34 PM
M
You can put in switches: not a problem!

Keep it simple. You said you were a plug-and-play, so:

get two switches
https://www.newegg.com/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30
5 port TP-Link $15
8 port TP-Link $30
Netgear is a nice brand too, metal boxes vs plastic.

If you're running cables, that is the best, and fastest speed way to do it.

Let's say your router has 4 ports, plus a WAN port (WAN = what you plug your cable modem/DSL into)
plug one wire into any of the 4 ports, then that same wire into any of the 5 ports (or 8 ports) on the switch.

Remember that will leave you with only 4 or 7 usable ports. Also: switches require power. They will come with a power adapter, and it's frequently a big fat mouse thing. Plan for that too.

Only consider a wireless solution if you're:
a. willing to pay double
b. willing to compromise speed
c. hassle with setup vs spending more money
d. really don't want to see wires, or are living in a rental

I've used these Powerline ethernet adapters before, and they're the bees knees. They also have speed ratings vs $, so be aware of that.

Old 06-11-17, 07:11 AM
B
Sounds good. Tech is changing so fast. I extended my house 19 years ago and ran phone lines to every room(bath, garage,laundry,etc). Now obsolite. If internt was invented then I would have run ethernet!!!.

Thanks for all the info