Windows 10 Creator

Old 05-27-17, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Windows 10 Creator

For those of you that have Win10 and don't know about this update, this is a heads up. It's actually more of the new version 1703 called Windows 10 Creator.
They're rolling out this update slowly over the next few months.
As I found out (it updated a few days ago), there's some issues and bugs with it because it's being released before they've worked them all out.
For me, a couple of programs kept crashing and also my computer froze up and had to be restarted.

If you have Win10 Pro, you can delay this update. Good idea until they work out the issues.

If you have Win10 Home, you can't delay the update, however, as I found out in time, you have 10 days to revert back to the previous version. I had to do that because it wasn't working out for me.
I got a message that they won't update again until they've worked out some of the issues with the next version.

So, if you get the update, I'd suggest you check out the programs you use to make sure they all work. It may work out fine for some of you, but just in case, I thought I'd give a warning.

To revert back, go to the Start Menu, click on the Settings link.

After Settings open, click on Update and security and select Recovery settings.

Next click on the Get started button under Go back to an earlier build section.

Then it'll ask questions about why you want to go back. It'll take a little while.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-27-17 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-17, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Ive had creators about a month now. It worked out for me with no issues.

I turned of that stupid shield thing that tells you something is wrong with your computer and needs attention. It kept telling me to turn on my wireless card. I have it off as Im on a wired internet connection.

To turn that off is in the start up menu.

Otherwise they took some computer operational windows out and it goes to the tile type windows. Like where you make adjustments for your computer..

Example. To delete a program on your computer you used to go into programs to do it. Now its called apps and features and takes you to a metro/tile type window.

Plus you get a whole bunch of bloat ware in this up date.

I went through and deleted about 15 programs/bloatware from microsoft..

Old 05-27-17, 08:19 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I went through and deleted about 15 programs/bloatware from microsoft..
Can you list them for us? If not, are they all in the same folder? If so, what is the location?

Old 05-27-17, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
These are in app and features. You will see microsoft adds a ton of apps to this update..

Example,

Groove music.. Ill never use that app but they added it.
Messaging app. I dont message off my computer, dont need it..
app connector app. Whats that for?
designer draft app... Some program opener..

Heatlth and fitness app
visual studio
one note
People
sticky notes

All the X box stuff. Theres 4 of them..

And a slew more that I cant remember.. Was probably more then 20 now that I think about it..

Old 05-28-17, 07:09 AM
D
Thanks, I'll search for them.

Old 05-28-17, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I must have got hit without knowing it. I see all the apps you mention, plus some. You can't uninstall them from the windows click. You can only rate them or install them. Guess I'll have to figure a way to get rid of them. I like streamlined.

Alarms and clock
Calendar
Connect
Groove music
Mail
Messaging
Paid WiFi and Cellular
People
Photos
Sticky notes
Weather
Xbox

Edit: "If you want to uninstall or move an app, select it from the list" Only problem, once you highlight it, you can't click on "uninstall".

Edit2: You can't change your default music handler from Groove Music say to ITunes or other. It just won't change.

Old 05-28-17, 02:38 PM
H
Thanks for the heads up guys I think I may have a few of those myself. I am on my desktop now in my basement office and I just received an update. So far everything works fine including my new all in one Epson printer I just recently bought. I wish though that Microsoft had its old policy of being able to completely turn updates off. With the old policy you could at least warn people ahead of time that there might be a bad update and maybe they would be spared of a bad update.

Old 05-28-17, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Edit2: You can't change your default music handler from Groove Music say to ITunes or other. It just won't change.
Type in the search box lower left.

"default app settings."

From there have any app open anything you want..

Old 05-28-17, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Edit: "If you want to uninstall or move an app, select it from the list" Only problem, once you highlight it, you can't click on "uninstall".

Some apps take minimal space but they can be removed. I removed them this way through windows powershell..

Too long for me to explain so here is a link that explains it better then I could type it..

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how...einstall-them/