Verizon Fios Routers

Old 06-04-17, 11:55 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Verizon Fios Routers

Hi, I will be moving into a home that is fios-enabled. I will be purchasing the 50mbps speed. I don't want to rent or buy a router from verizon. Their site lists 2 routers, Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1 and Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway, Model G1100. Are those my only options? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on a decent router? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-17, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Fios uses MoCA (multimedia over cable) which means you must use a router that connects with coax to their ONT.

If you are getting TV and phone.... you are pretty much at their mercy. You can buy their routers without renting them.

If you are just getting internet service.... you can have the Ethernet WAN enabled at the ONT (network terminal) and use any router you choose.

On edit: Apparently with some additional work.... you can have the triple play work normally using your own router instead of theirs. Since it's not my specialty I won't go into it further but just googling it brings up many sites discussing the steps needed to follow. You would still need to contact Verizon to get the WAN connection switched over to Ethernet.

The biggest problem with not using the Verizon supplied router is that they will not supply any technical help in regards to your owned router.

I also have Fios. I don't remember a charge for the router. I'll check when back home.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-04-17 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-04-17, 02:08 PM
G
Thanks pjmax. I am just getting internet. So it seems like my options are:

ONT>Coax>VZ Router (really a modem)>Ethernet>My Router

ONT>Ethernet>My Router

Please correct me if I still need something between the ont and my router...which would defeat the purpose of having the ont switched to ethernet, imo.

I'm pretty experienced with routers and network connections, but this is my first foray into fios. I confirmed I can make the transition but need to call during business hours to get costs/times to complete the switch. I will be able to run the ethernet myself.

Thank you for your help.

Old 06-04-17, 03:07 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't remember a charge for a FIOS /modem/router either. When WEP was the standard encryption on Actiontec, they were so hackable. Now that WPA2 has replaced WEP, I would think that they are OK now. I thought that they just sent us a Qualcom router to replace the Actiontec. Maybe it was Quantum.

Old 06-04-17, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
The Quantum is the new black flat panel router.
I still have the maroon Actiontec with the two external rubber duck antennas.

ONT>Ethernet>My Router
That is correct.

You have to have the ONT. From that they will use the Ethernet connection only... to your router.

I did not explicitly see a router charge in my statement however I did notice the fees building.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ve...ml#post2628779

Last edited by PJmax; 06-04-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 05:56 PM
G
Thanks, there is actually a $10/month fee to rent one of their routers, or you can purchase one from them for around $110. I already have a router that would do the job if I have the ONT switched over to ethernet. So I'm going to go that route, rather than purchasing a router for coax.

For what it's worth, I would call Verizon to see if they are charging you rent for the router you are using. They might not explicitly describe it on the bill.

Old 06-04-17, 06:06 PM
D
I would call Verizon to see if they are charging you rent for the router you are using. They might not explicitly describe it on the bill.
Since my landlady pays the bill (yay) I won't be able to confirm or deny the rental charge. My recollection was based on a former location.

Old 06-04-17, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
From what I've been reading at the Verizon/fios forums.... if you bought a bundled service package..... like the triple play... the router was included.

Make no mistake.... one way or another you pay.

Old 06-05-17, 06:38 AM
D
Make no mistake.... one way or another you pay.
That's 100% correct.

Old 06-05-17, 08:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
When I got fiber optic service no router was needed for my pc. I have an internet, tv and phone package. Later on when I needed wireless my son gave me an old router he had - works fine. I do not have Verison or any other big name service as they aren't available so I don't know how what I have compares.

Old 06-06-17, 10:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
Be aware though, if you use the Ethernet port on the ONT, instead of the MOCA (coax to the router), if you have TV, they won't be able to get the extra content. The on screen guides as well as some/all of the on-demand video is sent over internet channels and not the tv. So using a MOCA router is important to ensure you have any set top boxes or DVRs working correctly.

* This is my understanding as of a couple years ago. It's possible it's changed by now...

Old 06-06-17, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Z , You bring up an excellent point.

I was looking into that at several tech sites where they're dedicated to testing the boundaries.

There are three methods for using your own router. The first one requires no computer knowledge. The second requires Fios router programming changes.
1) Use the Fios router and just plug yours in to a LAN port. (basic-common method)
2) Bridge the signal thru the Fios router to your router. Yous will become the primary router for your internet including wifi.

3) This method replaces their router with yours. The ONT is changed to Internet over Ethernet. Then you reprogram the Fios router with a different server address then unplug it. Plug yours in and program server address as the .1 address. Yours becomes the primary.
From what I've read at several sites it does work fine with only your router connected.
I have a really good wireless router with wifi so I'm thinking of trying it. The only major problem is if you have internet problems... they can't check status as their router is no longer connected.

Old 06-07-17, 05:34 PM
G
Thanks PJ and Z, right now I have no plans to get TV for the foreseeable future.

Looks like i have some research to do on programming the new router.