Extending internet to outbuilding

Old 06-14-17, 09:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extending internet to outbuilding

Hello, I am looking to get internet to my shop. It is about 150ft from the house. I currently using an extender, but keep dropping signal. I was looking at the Linksys EA9500 AC5400 router and then possibly an extender if needed. Do you guys think that that router would be strong enough? It is rated for 2500sq ft. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-17, 10:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
I use a Pico Station to get Internet to my shop. The building is all steel so wireless signals don't get inside very well. I have the Pico Station mounted on the outside and within range of the office network. A Ethernet cable brings the signal inside where it plugs directly into my computer but you could have it plug into a wireless router.

I have also had good luck using high gain antennas if your routers have external antennas or jacks so you can relocate the antennas. And if you really want range old satellite TV dishes can give you tremendous range.

Old 06-17-17, 05:52 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That distance is close to the limit. Sometimes moving the router(s) a few feet one way or another can help. Don't put them on the floor. As Dane mentioned, a steel building can make it worse. I use an Amped 2400 to grab the signal from the router. It takes the wireless signal & turns it into wired ports.

Old 06-17-17, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
You could look into PowerLine networking... using an electrical adapter to extend your network.

I have a buddy that did that in his steel garage.

Old 06-17-17, 04:50 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That's what I did.

I picked up a pair of powerline adapters for $15 on Ebay. Plugged them into the same side of the panel and have a 250mb/s (by the config utility) connection to my shed 100' away.

It hasn't so much as blinked in 3 months.

Old 06-19-17, 05:53 AM
H
Received 90 Votes on 79 Posts
You can get 150'-250' of outdoor grade ethernet cable for $40(close out) to $100 (new).
It's direct bury, but I've got mine setup aerially, reusing an old electric service hangers.
I found that direct ethernet works much better for VOIP, no lagging.