sandbox

Old 06-14-17, 11:07 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
sandbox

I can install operating systems and image current ones but that's about the extent of my pc abilities.
I was looking at both VM's and sandboxie and wondered if either of the two would be god to surf with relatively safely. Given that nothing is perfect, is ether or both better to surf with.
They seem a bit hard for me to do due likely to a lack of practice;what level should you be to use these?
I have a 6 year old desktop with Win 10 pro and MBAM. I am using the native firewall and Defender all behind my isp gateway I configured.
My surfing habits are on the conservative side per my age -77.
What is your take on increased safety? I tried Avat and it's ok but tough to remove even with the uninstaller tool.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-17, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I like Virtual Box. Its interface seems relatively intuitive to me.

Old 06-14-17, 11:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I use VMs all the time at work, currently have two open. Easy to use, IMO, but I'm not seeing the benefit for the effort to you.

Old 06-14-17, 11:52 AM
P
Vm

I like ray's signature b/c it applies to me.

Anyway,I found an easy piece of software for less skilled users called Geswall.
I do nothing and let it work.

Old 06-17-17, 05:46 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since most malware enters from users opening unrequested email attachments, running the email client in a sandbox would be the first choice. VMs are mostly used to run other operating systems. VMs are a pain on Win 10 due to the constant update push by MS. The never ending reboots aren't VM friendly. Win 10 Pro is somewhat better. MS has acknowledged the complaints from users but hasn't done much about it.

I like MBAM & use it all the time. Don't depend on firewalls & Anti Virus for your protection. AV programs can't possibly keep up with the new malware that is released daily. Even if it could, there are ways to avoid AV detection that malware authors/coders use. Every once in awhile, open a command prompt & run
netstat -an. Notice the space between netstat & the dash. If you see high ports (over 1023) in the foreign address column, investigate it. High ports in the local address column are ok. For example: 12.13.14.15:3245 is suspicious.
The port is after the :

Old 06-17-17, 12:23 PM
P
sand box

I will avoid vm's due to lack of skill and what you pointed out. I may study sandboxie but right now have MBAM, Defender, Win 10 firewall and am behind router.

Old 07-01-17, 04:44 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Peter, where are you with this? Do you still need help with this?

If you do, can you run this command "msinfo32" in a command prompt? Will need the following information from that window (System Summary):
  • OS Name
  • Version
  • System Model
  • System Type
  • Processor
  • Total Physical Memory

Also, how many hard drives or SSDs are in your computer? And last, is your computer a desktop or a laptop?

Originally Posted by ShortyLong
Don't depend on firewalls & Anti Virus for your protection. AV programs can't possibly keep up with the new malware that is released daily.
Totally agree!

Old 07-01-17, 05:54 AM
P
thread

I am sorry if my last reply did not end this thread. I think I was saying I would look into sandboxie and then listed my protection but I can see whee one might not conclude it was a closed answer.
I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit - 10.0.15063
Dell 8300
6 GB memory
i5 3.30 Ghz

I am lucky as I have only replaced the hard drive, PSU, keyboard/mouse and monitor. No more $ gores into this 6 year old.

I chose not to use Sandboxie and my favorite browser is Chrome which does some sandboxing, if I am not mistaken.
When this goes, I will do my own through micro center or have them do it. With my low level of hardware experience it likely would be the latter.
Every time I have to boot off of a stick or disc I appreciate the ease of the older BIOS but will have to acclimate to UEFI.
Thank you for following up.

Old 07-01-17, 09:12 AM
P
Thread

I have one hdd which is the one I replaced.
Western Digital