Is The Cookie Folder Necessary?

Old 05-01-01, 01:17 PM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Question

I have noticed that I get cookies in the Temporary Internet Folder and in the Cookie Folder. Why is this? Is this Cookie Folder necessary? I downloaded the Luckman's Anonymous Cookie program and at first glance it looks like I am no longer getting cookies in the Temporary Internet Folder but still getting them in the Cookie Folder with my full name listed. I can live with cookies but wouldn't mind being more anonymous since I am the one who had posted "Banned From Website," which I am proud to say got a lot of views (do I get a prize heee hee).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-01, 05:47 PM
Some sites will not work properly (some not at all) without the cookie feature enabled. cookies are site references and (can be saved and read)used by sites in a variety of ways, the site may be able to tell if you visited the site before and not give you the same page layout or give you a different advertisement. Some may haev your name and login, so that the site knows you and you will not have to enter it again, unless you haev deleted the cookies.

I personally would not disable that function, but periodicly delete them whenever you want, but don't set your browser to prevent them.

Old 05-01-01, 06:35 PM
TerL
Visiting Guest
Reply to dkerr

I know that some sites won't work properly if cookies are disabled, but I also don't like the fact they can get my name. I listed the one website I have had trouble with as a "Restricted Site" (Tools/Internet Options/Security), but still get a cookie put on my computer from them.

Old 05-01-01, 09:04 PM
What I often do when I redo a system, is that I never put my name in when windows install asks for it, I put PC USER as the owner, and less often does mt real name ever show up in the cookies unless the cookie was there as a result of loging on a real name to a site.