Random Device Disconnect Sound - Could it be electrical?

Old 06-19-17, 04:26 PM
Do you think some device outside my house can be trying to connect wirelessly?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-17, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
An attack can be wireless or wired. You can send me a private message with your external IP if you want to make that test. Go to whatsmyip.net That will give you your external IP address. Then we have to set a time when we are both home. IP addresses have leases & can change.

Old 06-26-17, 01:25 PM
@ShortyLong,

Someone suggested I try Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clips. Over the weekend, I applied them to several plugs and speaker components. Given the randomness of the issue, I hesitate calling it a definitive success... but so far I've had over a day of blissful silence. A record! I'm crossing my fingers...

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Old 06-26-17, 03:04 PM
WOW!!! Who made that suggestion? Kudos to him. I never would have thought of that.

Old 07-01-17, 09:18 AM
Yeah, but unfortunately, that didn't work either. Shortly after I wrote that, it started again - though maybe not quite as much.

Here's something else that's interesting. I switched off the Internet to the NUC and heard nothing for several hours. Meanwhile, I was working upstairs on another computer attached to a TV via HDMI and using a Sonos soundbar. Suddenly I heard the sound again.

Where it stands:
Same specific sound happens on 3 different machines (2 running Win 7, I running Win 10), happens wherever network is connected, *probably* doesn't when Internet is off (i.e., happened upstairs when Internet connected, didn't hear it downstairs when it wasn't).

And I've also noticed that is rarely happens at night. Mostly morning and afternoon.

What am I missing?

Old 07-01-17, 02:36 PM
What do you know about Wireshark? Do you want to try it?

Old 07-01-17, 03:33 PM
I'm downloading it - what should I do?

Old 07-01-17, 04:18 PM
Read a few articles on the basic usage & then we'll discuss it. Basically, it records packets that flow through the network. There are ways to filter what packets you may or may not want to record. I want you to get an idea of the choices. Since we don't know what is causing the noise, we aren't sure of what filters to use if any at all.

Old 07-03-17, 08:18 AM
OK, I think I have a basic idea of how it works.

I've been noticing that simultaneous to the sound on the NUC, I'm getting an echoing sound on my android-based tablet... so whatever this is IS coming from the network.

What should I try next?

Old 07-03-17, 10:04 AM
Ok, out of the blue, but

Do you have a tablet or wifi device that is setup as a shared file? Perhaps a wifi printer?

Do you have something connected via wifi, tablet, printer, smart TV,
that's dropping out and then reconnecting?

Old 07-03-17, 12:06 PM
@Hal_S, my wife and I both have tablets, she also has a Windows Surface which connects wirelessly (but is usually off during the day when the bulk of these events occur), we also have a Sonos system which connects wirelessly from its controller which is connected by ethernet. On my tablet I noticed that I was allowing contents to be shared (I unticked those).

No smart TV, wireless printer is off.

I don't know what else.

Someone pointed out that it's a very clean sound, so I doubt it could be RF-related. I just called tech support at my ISP and they checked for interference on the line. Nothing.

It *must* be something.

Old 07-03-17, 01:51 PM
so whatever this is IS coming from the network.
Better said: it's passing through the network. We still don't know the origin.

When you setup Wireshark, you have to pick a network card. Let's say that it's running on a machine with a wired connection. You pick that card. You can also run it on a machine that has a wireless connection. On that machine, you choose the wireless network adapter. Set both of them to save the data to a log file. Then when you hear the sound, you make a note of the time. Go back the the Wireshark log files & see if you can correlate the time of the sound with a particular packet & IP address, in the file. I hope that's clear.

Old 07-04-17, 01:34 PM
OK - I ran Wireshack on my wired connection and captured two instances when I heard the sound (one last night, the other just now).

What sort of log entry should I be looking for?

Old 07-04-17, 04:16 PM
What sort of log entry should I be looking for?
Match the times that you heard the sound with whatever was entered on Wireshark. In other words, if you heard the sound at 4PM, look at 4PM on Wireshark.

Old 07-04-17, 04:35 PM
Except there are literally over 1000 events for the minute or two I can pin it down to.

Old 07-04-17, 06:30 PM
Let's start with 'broadcasts". Are there any broadcast events that appear at both times that you heard the sound? Is it possible to copy the minute or two & post it on pastebin or ghostbin? Then post the link here.

Old 07-05-17, 07:06 AM
I couldn't find any broadcasts in the search. I saved the 2 files but can't find a way to copy them to pastebin.

If you'd be willing to look at them, I could put the files in my dropbox account.

Old 07-05-17, 07:40 AM
Before we try dropbox, open the file, highlight the section that around the time or times that you heard the sound. Right click on the highlighted area & left click on copy. Right click in pastebin & left click on paste.

Old 07-05-17, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see a way to copy a range - your method only allows me to copy one instance.

Old 07-05-17, 07:59 AM
Incidentally, I made a request for help on the Wireshark forum and here's the most substantive response I received:

"The chance that the sound itself is transmitted in the form of audio data over the network each time you can hear it, and as such it could be found in data captured using Wireshark, is quite small (leaving aside the issue of way too many codecs which could be used and thus the complexity of finding a sound pattern rather than a byte pattern).

"It is much more likely that the sound is pre-loaded at your machine along with some application which plays it whenever a particular network event happens. So if you've got two capture files from the times when the sound occurred, you should identify those data flows in each of them which were ongoing at the moment the sound has occurred and slightly before, and then identify each single one of them, and also one-time events like DHCP address assignment or so. If two of them match by the remote IP address between the two capture files while others don't, it could be a hint. But I'd rather think of chat applications, softphones etc. first."

This is beyond my expertise, I think.

Old 07-05-17, 01:51 PM
your method only allows me to copy one instance
OK, I didn't think of that.

If two of them match by the remote IP address between the two capture files while others don't, it could be a hint
So what he is saying is that if you see two of the same entries at different times when the sound occurred, that could lead to the cause.

Old 07-06-17, 05:47 PM
Crossing my fingers but... I may have found the culprit. If so, it was a combo of Wireshark (thanks ShortyLong!), intuitive thinking, and blind luck.

Noticed instances of Sonos packets popping up around the time of the sound incidents, remembered that the Sonos controller was the *only* piece of hardware that had touched all 3 computers and hadn't been replaced or swapped out.

Recently, it had been disconnnecting from the network sometimes (I never thought of it b/c it's in another room), but I happened to have another one handy. Since replacing it, I've heard no sounds.

2 days in. It had to be something, right?

Old 07-06-17, 06:41 PM
Noticed instances of Sonos packets popping up around the time of the sound incidents, remembered that the Sonos controller was the *only* piece of hardware that had touched all 3 computers and hadn't been replaced or swapped out.
Ok, I'm not familiar with the Sonos controller but I'll certainly research it. Keep me posted.

Old 07-09-17, 04:24 PM
Same sound again. Nothing for 3 days and then about 6-7 instances in less than 30 minutes. Ugh.

Captured 3 instances of it with Wireshark... but can't find any commonality.

Help!

Old 07-09-17, 06:58 PM
What were you doing when you heard the sound? Were you surfing the net, sending email, youtube, streaming music, etc...? Who else is on your network? Go back into the web interface of the router. Find the DHCP list. Count the connected devices. Are there any that don't belong to you? If so, change your wireless password.

Old 07-09-17, 10:46 PM
Actually I was sitting outside when I heard the 1st instance. I hurried inside and started Wireshark. So no surfing, etc.

Nothing out of the ordinary on the network. Several weeks ago, I switched off the wireless on the NUC.

And remember... this is a different router bought after I switched from DSL to cable thinking that might fix the error.

I'm really stumped.

Old 07-10-17, 02:20 AM
It's a different router but did you use the same wireless password?

Old 07-10-17, 06:44 AM
No. Actually, I'm starting to think this is hopeless.

Old 07-10-17, 06:59 AM
I can understand that you think that it's hopeless. It's too bad that you are 3,000 miles away. I would look at it in person. At least change the wireless password & look at the list of connected devices.

Old 07-10-17, 07:26 AM
I just have one connected wireless device (an Android tablet). I've disconnected everything else.

Wireless Client List
Name IP MAC
android-52105bcdd4badbf3 192.168.0.3 B0F:3A:02:C9:F4
android-52105bcdd4badbf3 2601:1C0:6D02:2550:7947:7145:443C:6465 B0F:3A:02:C9:F4
android-52105bcdd4badbf3 FE80::B2DF:3AFF:FE02:C9F4 B0F:3A:02:C9:F4

Could it possibly be some sort of software notification? That seems unlikely b/c one of the computers I tested was a friend's with different software.

Still grasping. The good news is, it has been happening less often. Sort of jarring when it does occur. Maybe I'll have to learn to live with it....

Old 07-10-17, 09:25 AM
I just wanted to be sure that no one else was connected to your network. Can you try wireshark on a different machine. You might see different connections.

Old 07-10-17, 10:24 AM
It's been happening really often today. So annoying! Only have the machine up right now.

I managed to capture 2 more instances of the sound on Wireshark. Could you please give me any more direction about what I should be looking for?

Old 07-10-17, 03:25 PM
The idea is to match the times of the sound to events in wireshark. TCP/IP is one example. I had mentioned broadcasts but you said there were none which makes me wonder who set the no broadcast filter if you didn't?
Click on filters to see what's there.

Old 07-10-17, 04:09 PM
Shorty,
I think this is beyond me. When I hear the random sound (if I'm lucky enough to be at the computer), it takes me at least 10 seconds to reopen the program and stop the capture. By then, there can be over 1000 entries - and it's just too much w/out more direction. It's like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack. If the needle is indeed in the haystack...
I just don't know.
Thanks so much for all your help.

Old 07-10-17, 04:26 PM
I totally understand if you don't want to pursue it anymore. I'll leave you with a site that has a few more thoughts.

https://superuser.com/questions/1253...sconnect-sound

Take a break. Let me know if you want to continue in the future.

Old 08-01-17, 02:59 PM
OK, I've taken a vacation - and here's where I am. The sound began to decline noticeably over the past weeks (not due to anything I've done). The only possible explanation is that my neighbors have put their house up for sale and haven't been around very often.

I thought that something in their house couldn't be the source of that specific sound. However, last weekend, I was talking to another neighbor (he lives on the other side of the suspected problem house) and he told me that in the same time frame he has been experiencing random computer disconnects during the day. He doesn't have speakers - so of course he wouldn't hear any sound issues.

Am I being a conspiracy theorist - or could this possibly be the source of the issue? And if it is (aside from waiting for the sale to go through) is there anything I can do to block it?

Old 08-01-17, 03:32 PM
I thought that something in their house couldn't be the source of that specific sound.
If you look at my previous posts, I had mentioned that as a possibility. For example, a ham radio operator.

Old 08-01-17, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
I'm really late to the game and don't want to throw a wrench in any works, but.....

It sounds to me exactly like a radar sweep of some sort. Now there are any number of things that can cause similar sounds to be induced (encrypted communication tone bursts, IFF, etc) but that's what it sounds like to me. And no, radars won't all go "beep......beep.....beep" at distinct intervals. Everything from weather to terrain can also affect their properties. And this type of external interference can be extremely hard to track down without proper detection equipment and trained personnel to operate it.

The equipment could be miles away, or it could be 3 blocks away. Could be temporary or a recent install or an old install that has been upgraded, could be a photo radar, or, or, or...

The best recourse in most cases of outside interference is to use the ferrite chokes as mentioned, ensure cables and connectors are in good shape and as short as possible, and ensure all grounds are solid and connect to a common reference point.

Either that or build a giant Faraday cage and...nahh.

Old 08-11-17, 09:18 AM
@GunGuy45

I really am noticing a distinct correlation between the neighbors being at home (sound) and their increasing absences (rare sound, but not completely gone - a remote home security system?).

I've asked several neighbors if their experiencing any sound problems. I don't know if this is normal (and I live in a middle-class suburb), but none of them have speakers attached to their computers.... though a few have said they've been getting random disconnects.

What can I (not a electrical whiz) do to "ensure all grounds are solid and connect to a common reference point)?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-17, 03:11 PM
If you are on speaking terms with the neighbor in question, would you be willing to talk to him?