Airport Extreme question

Old 07-18-17, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
Airport Extreme question

I've gotten a call to look into a problem. A customer has his alarm panel in one corner of the basement and the internet is on the second floor opposite corner. His panel communicates thru cellular and network.

Big bucks to get thru this custom home with a network cable.

The idea is to connect an Airport Extreme to the alarm panel's network connection and it will communicate thru WiFi to the cable router on the second floor.

I'm not familiar with that Airport Extreme unit but I don't think it will work that way. That is basically connecting it backwards as compared to most wireless routers.

Any comments ? Will it work that way ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 04:14 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is airport extreme necessary for that job? It just seems to be another router except that it's made by Apple. What alarm system is there?

Old 07-18-17, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
It's a Bosch alarm system. It's currently reports to the central station via cellular. I usually use a network connection for primary and cell as a backup.

Old 07-18-17, 04:30 PM
T
If I'm reading this the alarm does not have a wireless port only Ethernet and Cell?

I have a wireless extender in my house that has an ethernet port. whatever is connected to the ethernet port connects to the wireless network.

Old 07-18-17, 04:41 PM
S
I've never done residential alarm systems but knowing what I know about wifi, the alarm system has to see the router. If it can't see the current router, that's when you'll need some type of extender which could be the airport extreme or whatever. I would look at the panel first to determine if an extender is needed or not. If you get stuck, call Bosch tech support.

Old 07-18-17, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
The panel only has network out. The cellular is a separate module.
It needs to be connected to an active network to acknowledge it before trying to communicate.

It can't see any wireless.... it's only has an RJ-45 network jack.

That's my original question. Can I use the Airport Extreme to act as an extender ?
I know with most routers you connect the router to the WAN network and it connects to wireless devices. In this case can it be plugged into the alarm, at the alarm location and act as an extender back to the cable router?

Can any router do that ?

Old 07-18-17, 07:29 PM
S
To use any router as an extender/switch, DHCP has to be disabled & it has to be given an IP address on the same subnet as the router. If the router is using 192.168.1.xxx, the airport extreme has to be configured to that subnet. I googled the default IP & it really wasn't clear. It might be 10.0.0.x in which case, it needs to be changed. Connect a laptop to the airport & see what you get. Once you do all that, it should be good to go.

Old 07-18-17, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the info and I believe the default IP scheme is 10.x

Old 07-19-17, 09:37 AM
J
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
So you don't have to run a network wire between the alarm panel and the router use a powerline network extender.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Power...etwork+adapter

Old 07-19-17, 09:44 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 100 Posts
I think you're looking for a wireless bridge. It's basically a "WiFi to Ethernet" adapter.

Many wireless routers can be reconfigured as a bridge, and I'm sure an Airport can be as well. But here's a cheaper and more purpose-built solution:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel.../dp/B00TQEX8BO

These were needed with a lot of gaming consoles a few years back where the XBox had an ethernet connection, but no WiFi.

As long as you have wifi connectivity to the basement, which unless the house is huge, you should. Otherwise, then you'll have to figure out a wifi extender... and that's just getting into painful. Remember though, you can always run an ethernet cable to the other side of the basement to a wireless bridge, so the wifi signal is closer/stronger.

Old 07-19-17, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Wireless bridge sounds like what was discussed. The Airport unit is already on site.

Thanks for the additional information guys.