How do I change the browser that a saved bookmark uses to access the site

Old 07-19-17, 02:39 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
How do I change the browser that a saved bookmark uses to access the site

Recently we got new computer and reluctantly went with Windows 10. Actually with some time it's not so bad.

We have Chrome as our default system browser.

My wife has certain saved book marks she works with but they only run in IE.

When we were setting up the computer I was able to save her bookmarks to the desktop and somewhere within the properties I clicked a box that forced the site to use IE to open.

All was well but then recently one of the saved sites changed and now it is opening with Chrome, the other bookmark still works by opening in IE.

I cant for the life of me figure out how or where that selection exists within the properties to select what browser opens the bookmark on the desktop.

I've searched but only see some older postings where they say I need to change the change how the "Start In Path" to IE_then the site. I cant get that to work and that is not what we did on the original set up.

We are able to save the bookmark within IE so she is able to continue but would like to figure out how to fix the one bookmark.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-17, 05:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
I find it hard to believe there are websites that Chrome or IE can't open. You might be having trouble if trying to open a website via a bookmark link on the desktop but one simple fix is to open bookmarks from within the browser. If they are in Chrome then Chrome will automatically open the pages. The same also goes for IE if you have the bookmarks in IE then IE will open the pages.

Old 07-19-17, 06:00 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IE must be set as the default browser. Right click on one of those sites & left click on open with. Choose Chrome.

Old 07-19-17, 08:03 AM
F
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
If you want to open it as just a one-time operation, drill down to the file with Windows Explorer (the file explorer, not the browser), right-click on the file, point to "Open With" and select the browser you want to use just that once.

If you want to change what you're using as the "default" browser, so it will repeatedly use that browser, click the setting at the bottom, "Choose Default Program," hightlight the browser you want for the new default, and make sure "always use" is checked.

Old 07-19-17, 09:10 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
I find it hard to believe there are websites that Chrome or IE can't open.
It opens but the data does not format correctly, its been proven to me!

IE must be set as the default browser
No, there is a way to set the book mark to use a specific browser, still have one on the computer decktop (with Chrome as default) that opens in IE. Trying to get the second one replaced.

If you want to change what you're using as the "default" browser, so it will repeatedly use that browser, click the setting at the bottom, "Choose Default Program," hightlight the browser you want for the new default, and make sure "always use" is checked.
Fred, this sounds more like what I recall doing, where is this done, to the icon on the decktop?

Old 07-19-17, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
where is this done, to the icon on the desktop?
Yes..... that is correct.

Old 07-19-17, 12:31 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, there is a way to set the book mark to use a specific browser
Not the bookmark but HTML is set to IE. Google set Chrome as default browser.

Old 07-20-17, 10:18 AM
F
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Marq1, at second glance I think I might have misunderstood what you're doing. I forgot that IE by default saves web pages in a different format that neither Chrome or FF can read by default.

You call them "bookmarks" but IE calls them "favorites." Might you be talking about web pages saved to your computer as a file so you can open them off-line? The reason I ask is that IE can save web pages in a single file *.mht format, which neither Chrome nor Firefox can read by default. There is a plug-in for Firefox to enable it to read the *.mht format but AFAIK nothing for Chrome yet. If that's the case (that you're talking about web pages saved/archived to your PC), you can save them from IE in *.htm format, which Chrome will be able to read (FF, too). Just look under the "Save as type" pulldown curtain in the "Save Page As" menu.

If it's IE's 'Favorites' you're talking about, you can import them into Chrome as a native bookmark. Open the Customize and Control menu> Bookmarks> Import bookmarks and settings and choose "From: Internet Explorer."