Using multiple USB hubs

Old 07-27-17, 06:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using multiple USB hubs

Hi I am in the process of expanding my studio and want to make sure that it wonít cause any computer problems or electrical hazards. Could you please help?

I already have two 14 port USB hubs and now I want to add one more USB hubs so that I can use more ports for midi controllers and webcams. I am wondering if there would be any issue to use 3 USB hubs simultaneously. My mac has 4 USB slots, so i could have all three plugged into the mac at once, but want to make sure that i donít make any harmful mistake and that theres no risk of damaging the computer, devices, usb hubs, or causing any electrical/fire hazards by using 3 hubs at one time.

This is the USB Hub that I use for all the hubs: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-14-Por....s=anker+hub+13

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with the latest OS.

So is this a bad idea for any reason? Or is it safe to use all three?

Thanks, Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-17, 07:05 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That question arose about 20 years ago on the Personal Computer Show heard Wednesdays at 9PM Eastern Time on WBAI FM or wbai.org The question was how many USB devices can I connect to one machine. The answer was 127.
That might have been for Windows. My guess would be that Macs could handle the same.

Old 07-27-17, 07:17 AM
Received 227 Votes on 202 Posts
Only way to find out is try it. You won't do any harm by trying. A lot depends on your RAM and CPU. If it can handle it then fine if not then you'll know. My old computer could not handle no more than six USB data drive at once. My new computer can handle about twice that much including being on line.

Old 07-27-17, 07:46 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Besides the CPU & RAM, the USB controllers have something to do with it. I don't know how to view them in Mac.

Old 07-28-17, 09:48 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 100 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem adding another hub. With USB you can run into power issues since each port only provides a certain amount of power to the devices. You're using a powered hub, so that eliminates/reduces that possibility.

Regardless, you won't hurt anything. USB controllers are designed to shut down in certain circumstances to protect themselves.

Old 07-28-17, 05:50 PM
Received 227 Votes on 202 Posts
Regardless, you won't hurt anything. USB controllers are designed to shut down in certain circumstances to protect themselves.
Correct you are. Apparently that was the problem with my old computer, even though they were powered separately.