My cable company now charging for modem.

Old 08-01-17, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
My cable company now charging for modem.

20 years I have had a cable modem from the cable company with no fee. Now I assume so many are cutting the cord, that they started charging a fee.

Its not a lot. 10 bucks a month for new subscribers, and 5 bucks for current subscribers.

Im not paying the 5 bucks... LOL. I called today and they said I can get my own docsis 3.0 unit. Well @ 69 bucks for a model I picked out it will take me a year and two months to break even.

To try to offset the pissed off customers like my self , they stated on the phone that they increased my internet speed free for a year... ??? Holy smokes. I already have 100 mbs speed, which I really do not need. How fast can it be?

So did a speed test and low and behold..

What they heck do I need this for? Its bait IMO. Like the speed, and all of the sudden you cant live without it.

69 bucks just for internet. The thing is I cut the cord long ago. I watch Netflix, and have an antenna on the roof for local TV. I also did the amazon fire-stick mod from a you tube video and watch any show, movie period. Even movies in theaters. Also live TV... Pay for firestick once. 39 bucks

This is not a jailbreak even though a lot of you tube channels use that term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaVLi_YA8j0 Maybe I should put this in the rants area?

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-01-17 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-17, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Fios keeps trying to get me to upgrade to their newest wireless router. I haven't found many people who like it. The range is not extraordinary like they claim it to be. I'm happy using their basic model with my own high end wireless router.

They raised my package price $5 a month and now I get 75-100mb.

I was just looking at the Kodi for a Firestick I have.

Old 08-02-17, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Kodi is one thing. The add-ons that allow illegal access to content is another. If I get a key to your house, is it ok if I come in and rob your fridge?

Old 08-02-17, 04:04 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I pay $5 a month for the cable "modem". Over the years I've had it replaced at no charge at least 8 times. Well worth the $5/month.

Old 08-02-17, 06:01 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Kodi is one thing. The add-ons that allow illegal access to content is another. If I get a key to your house, is it ok if I come in and rob your fridge?
What is "illegal" is fast becoming a grey area in the age of instant internet access to everything. Should it be illegal to stream a TV show that was broadcast free last week?

Old 08-02-17, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yeah, some things are grey I agree. And if content was originally free then getting it free later shouldn't be an issue (though then there's the old skipping commercials bugaboo, but that's been ironed out in the courts already). Though certain things (MLB comes to mind) are not property of the broadcasters...I dunno how that works exactly.

I was only really talking about things like movies that are in theaters, TV on premium channels, PPV events, and the like. Similar to Napster, Audiogalaxy, and Megaupload...in my mind those were blatant theft.