Makeshift voltage drop protection - charger + capacitor

Old 08-29-17, 11:17 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Makeshift voltage drop protection - charger + capacitor

I have recently bought ASUS Tinker Board to work as a small file server. It works, no problems there, but every now and then it restarts. I have noticed that the restarting happens when for example the washing machine changes modes, or when our drill is turned on. Both of them are in completely separate rooms by the way.
Now, I had these problems before, for example when I turned on my fan it made my PC monitor black out for couple seconds. So I think that the problem is in our power grid.
My question is, can I just strap a capacitor between the 5V, 2A USB power rails to protect the Tinker Board from micro voltage drops? In my mind it works just fine, but I want to ask before I start doing something that involves cutting the charger in half
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-17, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 761 Votes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is that what that board came with.... A switching USB power supply ?

After reading around on the Tinker board it looks like a 5v 3A power supply is recommended for more reliable operation. The 5V is used as it is and is also regulated down to 3.3v. The 3.3v supply may benefit with an additional cap.

If that unit uses 2A of power.... I'm not sure a cap across the power supply would have any effect. It would need to be quite large in capacity. If it was too large it would load the power supply to heavy on startup.

Maybe a supercap with low esr. Something like 1.5F @5.5v.
https://www.amazon.com/Supercapacito.../dp/B00HKJJ1O0

Old 08-29-17, 11:38 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, the board didn't come with anything. And the 2Amp supply/charger is the largest thing I could find, including e-shops (seems like 2A is the max in the czech republic :/)
At the official ASUS website, they say that 2-2.5A is recommended, but the board itself should never overcome 1.7 or 1.9, the rest is reserved for USB devices, from which I have only keyboard and mouse wich have pretty low power consumption, so I am pretty confident that this setup never comes over 2 Amps.

EDIT: and the charger is pretty high quality (and price) so I hope it would be fine with the increased load.