UPS 'wiring fault' light suddenly on after years in house

Old 09-10-17, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UPS 'wiring fault' light suddenly on after years in house

USA, AZ: I've been in this house over four years, and had this UPS connected to this particular outlet for that long. Six months ago, I got a set of those cheap LED light strips to put in this room.

The UPS is mostly used - eight outlets, 650 joules: PC, monitor, speakers on the 'battery' side; PC, monitor, extension chord (10'), and LED set on the 'on' side. I think nothing but the LED set was turned on the first night, and nothing but that was on the next night.

The other night, the LED set wouldn't turn on, and I found the 'wiring fault' led on the UPS on. Unplugged the LED set and the wiring fault light turned off; it did not come back on when plugging the LED set back in.

The set uses a big rectangular power supply, with a blue LED on it to show power, which was off, so I figured it blew because of cheap parts. I have spare sets, so I borrowed the PS from one. The next night while I was in the room, I heard a pop, and the LED set went out again. The set PS LED was not lit. But the UPS wiring faulty LED was not lit, either.

I disconnected the UPS, and tested the outlet according to this page, how to test an outlet. Voltage, ground, and polarity - all good and in range, though the voltage was getting up to 120.3 . Outlet is not GCFI.

Not sure what to do here. Nothing is plugged into the outlet for the time being.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-17, 04:32 PM
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
I suspect you may have a loose ground and might also have ground fault from the LED lights.
How was the LED lights installed? Hardwired? Plug type? Does it have a ground prong?

Old 09-11-17, 02:03 PM
What does my post say? And, no, two-prong.

Old 09-13-17, 04:25 PM
I get one at best half-comprehending answer, to which I respond functionally, and then it seems to become unpopular......

Old 09-13-17, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have moved you to the computer forum. Perhaps someone there is familiar with your problem.

Old 09-13-17, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
I can't think of what is causing your problem.

I guess I would try using the UPS as you were using it before and try plugging the LED lights into a different non UPS supplied receptacle. The LED's are using a switching power supply which should be ok to use with the UPS but apparently there is an issue there that is not clear.

The UPS uses the ground connection for surge suppression. Usually when the wiring trouble light comes on it means a loss of ground. Possibly you are losing ground under the load of the suppression circuit.

Old 09-14-17, 07:28 PM
@PJmax: given iambition's mention of ground, I was wondering something like that. I can't imagine what would change over six months, though. I haven't even been un-plugging and plugging things; I have the extension cord for that.

I've had for the last six months as well two other sets throughout the house, at least one of them running every night for hours, and no mishaps. They are direct to the outlet....

I have another set unused, and am trying the PS from it straight to the wall, still nothing else plugged in this outlet. If it blows, it's likely not the UPS.

*I bought five sets from Walmart though I wish I'd bought these - cheaper and the PS is more inconspicuous.

They're really cool, especially for PNP option.

Old 09-14-17, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
I don't understand why you are plugging LED lights into a UPS.

Old 09-14-17, 10:26 PM
@ray2047: why not? I was under the impression that anything electrical, and plugged, would benefit from surge protection and noise filtering.....although on the latter, none of my UPSs in the fifteen years I've been using them have filtered line noise from speakers in any place I've been.

Old 09-15-17, 12:34 AM
Group Moderator
The idea of computers crashing and data lost is exaggerated especially with modern mechanical hard drives that are engineered not to crash and newer SSDs. I occasionally have my power go off and sometimes i pull the plug intentionally when it freezes but in 20+ years it never hurt my computer. If though you feel the need for a UPS by all means use one but I don't see any reason to use them for things that don't need them like lights.

Commercial servers are of course a totally different thing but I'm talking about home computers.

P.S. I'm a bit baffled why it would matter if you lost power to a printer or modem in a home situation. Maybe a surge protector if it is a really expensive printer.

P.P.S. The preceding is personal opinion and I may be totally wrong. Don't substitute your judgement for mine.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-15-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I've never run into a UPS showing a wiring fault (other than when there specifically was an issue with a ground). With the UPSes I've used, that indicator has always been a 'dumb' indicator, and isn't based on frequency, or anything complicated like that.

Then again, maybe the newer UPSes are smarter and are sensing some issue with incoming waveforms or something that the LED driver could be messing with? Just spitballing...

Old 09-15-17, 11:11 PM
My printer is out of ink from the last time I used it, and off in a corner. No machine of mine has suffered damage from a dropout, but I don't want it shutting down on me while I'm doing something, especially say recording. Ditto my modem while I'm surfing. But everything else close by to the UPS I run through the non-battery side for surge protection.

This might be the first time I've had something go out when connected to a UPS.
Maybe I should get one of those Kill a Watt things to see whether the UPS is not surging.

I pulled apart one of the blown PSs, thought maybe there was a fuse but no. I guess three-prong male cables are cheaper than two-prong.

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-17, 03:57 PM
The last three nights have been uneventful, and I've had the UPS back on the the lower half of the outlet as well and running one PC set while keeping the LED lights on for hours. I vaguely remember someone on a forum saying LEDs and surge protectors or the like don't mix, but I can't find it. Nothing at Cyberpower about lighting.

Old 09-19-17, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I had to laugh at that picture... trying to figure out what the specification/order process was to have the manufacturer add another component (the IEC 3-prong inlet), add an extra inch or so to the case, all to get a different connector type. Wow...

Old 09-19-17, 04:41 PM
Yeah, in'nat curious? Apparently the main board is an off the shelf design over there....for what?......