Can't log on "User Profile"

Old 09-27-17, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can't log on "User Profile"

As noted one user can't log on the other is OK.
Instead of seeing your icon prior to log on this note pops up.
QUOTED NOTED: (User profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be logged on"
I believe the cause of this problem started by logging on to a ( foreign) IPAD (borrowed from library). Said user was able to change password on her Phone and log on elsewhere other than her laptop.
Now I do have access to change her password under user accounts. I am getting a warning about EFS encrypted files may be lost along with stored passwords etc.
I am just being cautious but believe this is the remedy for this problem. Please coach me if I may cause some irreversible damage.
thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-17, 02:36 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So you have a corrupt user profile. You didn't say what version of windows you have but the answer is basically the same. There are a lot of steps so don't get scared.
Login to the working profile.
Type cmd in the run box. On newer versions of windows, you see the command prompt icon at the top.
Right click on it & left click on Run as administrator.
When the box opens, type: net user administrator /active:yes & press enter. Follow my spacing. You should see a response that says, the commnand was completed successfully.
Press ctrl alt del once.
Choose switch user. By that time, you should see an administrator icon. Click on it. If the icon isn't there, reboot. Then login as administrator. If it asks for a password, leave it blank. We can set it later.
Click on the start button.
Double click on computer.
Double click on Users.
Double click on the name of the corrupt profile.
If the files are readable, copy them to a place of your choice. Include favorites, if you want. That could be a USB drive or a folder in the Administrator profile. I think that a USB drive is better.
We're almost done.
Now it's time to create a new profile for that user. Do Not use the same name. For example, if the name was Barbara, use Barbara_ or any thing as long as there is one character that's different. You can do that in the control panel under users. Set a password. Delete the old profile when you are sure that you have all the files copied.
Press ctrl alt del again.
Login to the new profile.
Copy the files that you saved from the old profile.
Wasn't that easy?

Old 09-27-17, 03:37 PM
windows 7
thanks will try it asap

Old 09-27-17, 03:56 PM
D
I just thought of something else. Download, install & run anti malware from malwarebytes,org
You might get lucky & it will clean the profile.

Old 09-27-17, 05:43 PM
I did the steps you asked, (but not complete) and did not backup because I am trying to find a zip drive with enough memory.If No luck I will go buy one.
I do have a quick question before I go ahead with your new sugestions.
While as admin. I was looking under user profile at all the files, which all look intact, I saw a command that asked if I wanted to “change the user profiles name.” Could this work, or is it the log in that is corrupt?
Would I lose all the info or could this be a possibility after I backup/transfer everything?
Thanks again!

Old 09-27-17, 06:09 PM
D
Zip drive? I haven't seen one in 15 years. USB is what you want & any of them should suffice. Changing the name on the profile won't help if the profile is corrupt. As I said, you can always try malwarebytes first.