Long update

Old 10-05-17, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 176 Posts
Long update

I bought a new desktop computer a month ago [HP] Even though the specs are better it isn't any faster than the old pc it replaced. This morning when I turned it on it started updating - took 1.5hrs Is it normal for it to take that long? I don't recall updating ever shutting down my old desktop for that long.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 04:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 423 Votes on 388 Posts
Windows 10 has some excruciatingly long update installations so I can't say an hour and a half is all that unusual. It makes me wish that Mac's were more common as Apple offers a more control over when updates are downloaded and installed.

Old 10-05-17, 04:56 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 20 Posts
I wouldn't think 1 1/2 hrs would be normal but I can say that now, updates can be several GBs sometimes. I found this out the hard way by connecting my latest new laptop to my Verizon hot spot which had 4 gb of data on it, when I checked later it was less than 1 gb left after initial updates.

Does it seem to be slow while on the internet or just using the computer off the internet? Is it about the same either way? You may have an internet issue.

Old 10-05-17, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
MY pos laptop takes a long time updating but it has a slow processor. My new desktop has faster processor, bigger hard drive and 4 core versus the previous 2 core but it's not any faster than the old pc, sometimes I think it might be slower! ...Probably shouldn't complain though as my first pc and dial up was so slow you were best off clicking on something and then go do something else while the pc got to where you wanted to be.

Old 10-05-17, 05:26 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Maybe it was only because it was a new machine and you had to get all of the accumulated Windows 10 Updates ?

Last year, I bought an HP Re-Furb'd 64 Bit Machine with Windows 7 Installed, and took advantage of the opportunity to get Windows 10 installed for free . . . . and though I didn't employ a stopwatch, I do recall it taking quite a while.

But subsequent updates have been only seconds in duration (but almost every day).

Old 10-05-17, 05:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be, it did a bunch of updating the first week but they were only a minor inconvenience - took just a few each time.

Old 10-05-17, 07:09 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The time that it takes for updates or anything else to write data to a hard drive can be determined by a few things. The internet connection speed is one of them. Most cable & fiber connections should suffice although there were times that I used a program called TCPOptimizer from speedguide.net
I don't know if the have a version for Win 10 yet.
The next thing would be your internal speed. If the computer that's being updated is connected wirelessly to the router, that can cause it to be slow.
Finally, the virtual memory should be set to system managed. Virtual memory is space on the hard drive that is temporarily used to hold data during the write process. It takes the load off of the RAM by use of a page file aka swap space. A PC with 32 GB of RAM shouldn't even need a page file but that's another story.

Old 10-05-17, 07:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a HP 570 with an AMD A10, 8 gb ram and 1tb hardrive. Internet service is 60 download and 15 upload. The biggest disappointment is it seems to be a tad slower than my old Dell all in one that had a slower processor, less ram and only dual core. But as much as I used to like XP, it sure was a step backwards when I had to drag it out to use inbetween the Dell biting the dust and the purchase of the new machine.

Old 10-05-17, 08:54 AM
D
Are the internet speeds that you quoted what they advertised or did you actually test them yourself with one of the test sites? Chances are slim to none that your internet speed is part of the problem. To eliminate it completely, try TCPOptimizer, if it's available for Win 10.

As I mentioned before, set the virtual memory to system managed. I've had more luck with that than anything.

Old 10-05-17, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Last time I checked the download speed was a little higher than promised and upload just a tad slower.

I'll wait until my son gets back in town [truck driver] and let him mess with the settings - it's a bit beyond my skill set.

Old 10-05-17, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
The amd 10 is a pretty good processor. That computer should be pretty fast, but when we talk fast what are we talking about?

Fast when using internal documents and folders, excel, word, PowerPoint and such should have no issues.

If your talking internet are you connected wireless, or hard wired?

It may just be the wireless card if so.. Maybe new driver is needed, and yes TCPOptimizer will help.. I use it on all computers. Also I am back to chrome which IMO is the fastest out there.

I bought a new dell laptop with a i5 7th generation 8 meg 1 tb drive and its the fastest computer of the bunch...

After I deleted the bloatware that came with it, like the free antispyware, and a slew of other things, its helps out..

Plus I immediately go into the settings and turn off all bells and whistles and click to run for best performance.. I only leave clicked " show thumbnails instead of icons" so I can see pictures as thumbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hln622vWu4

Tcp.

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Let us know how that works for you....

When doing updates try plugging the computer directly into modem...

Old 10-05-17, 09:29 AM
D
Control panel, system, advanced system settings, advanced tab, performance settings, check Let windows........., second advanced tab, virtual memory chance, check Automatically manage.......
Click OK 3 times.

Old 10-05-17, 09:32 AM
D
Correction. I typed chance instead of change.

Old 10-05-17, 10:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I forgot to mention the desktop is wired directly to the router.

Old 10-05-17, 10:48 AM
D
I decided to update my custom built win 10 machine. The update is taking forever so I googled it & found:
https://appuals.com/windows-10-update-1703-stuck/

Old 10-05-17, 10:56 AM
D
It took almost an hour. Edit: After the reboot, it's still applying updates.

Last edited by Donato_; 10-05-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Oh.. Yup... Mine too.. Desktop wired directly i5 4th or 5th gen 8 meg 1 TB..

Pretty fast but I have those insane speeds here in yankee ville...

But on the computer side opening applications it should be pretty darn fast....

Old 10-05-17, 07:25 PM
Received 168 Votes on 153 Posts
Sounds like you have lots of other things running at the same time. You might want to check services and startup programs. I like what Lawrosa says about deleting bloatware.