If I turn off icloud will I really loose files that are on my computer?

Old 10-08-17, 01:07 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I turn off icloud will I really loose files that are on my computer?

I keep getting these notices that my backup failed and I think it's because my icloud storage is full. I keep all my stuff backed up on a seperate external HD. I opened the icloud app and unchecked "icloud" but when I click on "apply" a warning comes up that says "If you turn off Icloud drive, all documents stored in Icloud will be deleted from this PC".

Really. I can see it maybe deleting stuff on Icloud but I can't see why it would delete files that are stored on my PC too. Am I taking this wrong or will that be what happens?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 01:58 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best thing to do is backup all the files on a second external HD & disconnect both of them from the PC when you uncheck icloud. I heard someone complain that they had some bootleg songs on their PC & iTunes replaced them with the "standard" version so anything can happen. Is there a problem with cleaning your icloud space, to make room?

Old 10-08-17, 04:07 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 22 Posts
I can see the fact that if you turn off iCloud that, the pc wont be able to access the files on iCloud but I doubt it will delete any files from the PC. However, keep in mind that files stored on the cloud may not be stored on your PC, unless you specifically stored them there.

I say that if you have backed up your files on an external drive, your fine either way.

For what its worth, its one of the first things I d when I get a new computer... turn off that dadgum iCloud. I'll save my own files & data on my own, thank you very much.