extending range of wifi

Old 10-20-17, 09:01 AM
extending range of wifi

I have a centurylink modem router in my house. I want to have wifi in my garage that is 75 feet away. I can get an ethernet cable to the garage, but what do I use to hook up the ethernet cable? another router, a signal extender, or is there something simple that i can use to hook up the ethernet cable and it will transmit a wifi signal?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-17, 09:23 AM
Before spending much money on other alternatives, I'd first attempt to use a WiFi Repeater similar to this:

I've been using a repeater for the past 4 years without any issues . . . . simple plug into an AC Outlet near the destination and it'll pick up the weak signal and strongly re-broadcast it.

Available for less than $10 on ebay; but maybe you can test on from a local retailer ?

Old 10-20-17, 10:07 AM
If the WiFi Repeater that Vermont suggested doesn't work, or you don't want to go that route, you can connect a second router running as a WiFi extender (repeater, hotspot, etc.), particularly if you have an old router that works, but isn't being used. That's what I did in my house. My modem & primary router are at one end of the house. I ran a length of Ethernet cable in the basement connecting to the primary router and ending at the other end of the house. I plugged it into an old router I had and now I get great signal strength throughout the house. Be advised that you need to setup the second router differently than normal. Basically, you want to plug the Ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports (not the WAN port), and turn off DHCP. I set the SSID and WPA2 passphrase to be the same as the primary router, so the wireless device seamlessly connects to whichever router gives the stronger signal (depending upon location).

Old 10-21-17, 04:38 AM
thanks a lot guys, I looked at the repeaters on ebay but wasn't sure if they would work or not.

Old 10-21-17, 09:02 AM
Going from ethernet to wifi is fairly standard for an unused router.
You end up with 3 open ethernet ports and wifi.
I've used old Verizon dsl 327 routers and Mi424 routers with rally good results.
You will have to do some tweaks and setup, but it's fairly easy to find guides on the internet.

If you don't have an old router around, check you local thrift shops, they often have old routers for $5 or so.

Old 10-21-17, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You said that you can get an Ethernet cable to the garage. All you need is a switch at the other end.

Old 11-19-17, 09:16 AM
Bump-

When re-using an old router, you also have to re-set the IP address.
Most routers choose 192.168.1.1, so you have to set the old router to something else,
I usually just set something high enough that it won't be used, e.g. 192.168.1.80 will be good unless you have 70 devices attached...
If you're really particular, you can go into the main router and change the range of addresses it assigns to start at 191.168.1.10
and then assign the second router as 192.168.1.2 (and other things like network printers as 192.168.1.3 etc...