Need Help: DIY USB Monitor

Old 10-29-17, 08:54 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help: DIY USB Monitor

Hi all,

I am working on a project to create my own portable usb monitor (eg. ltn101nt02) and a LCD controller board.

However, the controller board requires a 12v power input with more than 2A. I am thinking of using a boost converter but I'm not sure if it will work. Also, with the USB as power input, can it still work as a screen input for my monitor?

Can anyone advise if i can modify the board such that I can use a USB for both power input and screen input?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-17, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 702 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That would need to be a pretty hefty boost converter.
You would also need at least 5A @ 5vdc just to run the convertor.
Most USB power supplies don't deliver that.
A computer's USB port certainly doesn't.

Old 10-30-17, 12:24 AM
W
Perhaps a boost converter is not the way to do it. Do you have any suggestions that I can about do it?

I am trying to create a portbable usb monitor like the ones AOC or GeChic are selling.

​​​​​

Old 11-05-17, 11:48 AM
A
There are products available that take an external power supply and feed it into a USB cable. So, the USB power comes from the external power supply, but the USB data comes from the computer.

It's *possible* that you might be able to use a powered USB hub to inject enough power.

Any computer USB port will not supply enough power for your monitor. Some USB 3.1 ports can supply up to 3 Amps. If you convert to watts, you can compare apples to apples. Watts equals Volts times Amps. USB is 5 Volts. So, the maximum power a USB 3.1 can supply is 5 x 3 or 15 Watts. Your monitor requires 12 Volts at 2 Amps or 12 x 2, which equals a demand of 24 Watts.