Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Virtual desktop in Win 10

NY

11-11-17, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Virtual desktop in Win 10

I'm using two monitors with Win 10. I would like to use a virtual desktop on one of the monitors (kind of like having a separate computer). Right now if I want to access two programs (for instance a spreadsheet and a web page) I have to keep swapping one of the programs to the other screen. Not a problem but an annoyance.

Two questions, does Win 10 have that capability built in and/or do I need to download a third party app something like Dexpot, which looks rather interesting?

Or are there any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links

11-11-17, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)  
https://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how...in-windows-10/

I never did it but apparently it's doable.

NY

11-11-17, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I've been using this since I started with Win 10. Never realized I was using a virtual screen set up. Not what I was looking for. Maybe I can't have what I think I want.

I want one monitor to act like an independent computer from the other, but still use the same programs from the tower. And I want the mouse to seamlessly cross from screen to screen.

11-12-17, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)  
I think that a second video card is needed, to do what you want. I've seen it done with previous versions of windows but it was a long time ago. You'll see an option to detect the second monitor in the display settings.

PA

11-18-17, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Eh, sounds like you want to extend the desktop?

If you'r already using 2 monitors, then how are they setup?
Usually, you have choice of monitor #1, monitor #2, duplicate or extend.

If you have the monitors setup as "extend" then the cursor will roll from one screen to the other..

NY

11-18-17, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)  
It's extended. But as Donato says, I think I need another video card to do what I want.

PA

11-19-17, 04:22 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Yes you can have run virtual desktops, and each desktop will support dual monitors.
That's built into Windows-10 newest version.

Right click bottom menu bar,
select "show task view" button
click "new desktop"
load the programs you want on the 2nd desktop.

You know have 2 desktops, Win-Ctrl-right/left moves between desktops.
Within a desktop, Win+shift+right/left will flip the active window bewteen monitors.

Last edited by Hal_S; 11-19-17 at 04:44 AM.

Search this Thread