Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How test a coaxial cable for issues?

WI

11-20-17, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)  
How test a coaxial cable for issues?

My subwoofer is not working and to eliminate the issue, I like to see if the coaxial cable has issue or not. How do I go about troubleshooting this issue? I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AE9F-TLIjk

Since the subwoofer cable termination is RCA, can I just simply connect one of the alligator clip to a separate piece of metal?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

11-20-17, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)  
f you have another RCA to RCA cable..... just sub it into place. T

To test a cable you set your meter on OHMS (continuity) Touch one probe to each end tip. The meter should show continuity. Then check from ground shell to ground shell.... same thing. Now check from center pin to ground shell at one end.... there should be no continuity.

~ Pete ~

WI

11-20-17, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Thank you for the help. The issue I have is that each end of the subwoofer cable is about 30-50 feet apart. The coxial cable is inside the walls. So I need a way to test it's continuity.

CT

11-20-17, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Test continuity with an ohmmeter. Simply short one end to read continuity and remove the short to read an open. However, an ohmmeter probably won't tell you if the coax is lossy from damage or moisture.

Group Moderator

NJ

11-20-17, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Move your subwoofer closer to the source to test it.

Otherwise short it at one and measure at the other end... as mentioned.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread