Lost Desktop icons

Old 11-22-17, 09:09 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Lost Desktop icons

Something goofy happened to my desktop icons on my Lenovo thinkpad running windows 10. All of my desktop files are in Icons that show when the computer starts, but they all just disappeared from there. I can bring them up on a toolbar at the bottom of the screen and open the programs and files, but I don't know how to get them back onto the screen where they were before. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-17, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
The last time that happened to me, I had no idea why either, so I just used System Restore to restore it back to a day or two earlier. That worked.

Old 11-22-17, 03:40 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, the bar at the bottom of the screen is the taskbar not a toolbar. Right click on the desktop & left click on Personalize. Go through the settings there. The "Start" setting might be what you want.

Old 11-22-17, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
I was just looking around and found something. Right click anywhere on your desktop and hover on View at the top. Make sure "show desktop icons" is checked. You may have unchecked it accidentally.

Old 11-22-17, 08:15 PM
W
Lost Desktop icons

I set the system restore in action before I saw your second reply. It worked! Where do I send the flowers?

Old 11-23-17, 06:03 AM
D
Send the flowers to her husband. He'll deliver them.

Old 11-23-17, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Ha, ha! You're welcome!

Old 11-25-17, 09:42 AM
R
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
My problem is so similar, I'll continue this thread: Windows 10 Desktop...after my 17 year-old son has been on the computer a while, then re-boots so I can do my thing, the desktop icons have all been re-arranged along the left side of the screen, and I have to drag them back where I prefer them. Not a great tragedy, but they never used to do that. Taking Shadeladie's hint, I find that under "view" I see that "Auto Arrange" is un-checked, "Align Icons to Grid" is checked and "Show Desktop Icons" is checked. Do I need to change something to keep the icons where I put them when re-booting? Oh, and of course my son, who is now more savvy than I on computers, doesn't have a clue why it happens. Thank you!

Old 11-25-17, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
If you find a way let me know. I have googled this and have never found way to lock icons.

Old 11-25-17, 12:46 PM
W
Lost Desktop Items

The re arrangement problem coymes and goes for me too, but the system restore did not jumble them up too much. I do have window that has appeared that i have not seen before when I start the system now. It says "ASC Tray.exe System error" "the code executed cannot proceed because rt12bpc was not found. reinstalling the program may fix the problem." i can navigate past it eventually but it is a real pain, any clues here?

Old 11-25-17, 02:03 PM
D
rstripe, consider buying a computer for your son. That way he can do whatever he wants with his icons. IMO, that's why they are called Personal Computers. Everyone has his own.

Old 11-25-17, 03:00 PM
Received 15 Votes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
If you find a way let me know. I have googled this and have never found way to lock icons.
For years, I've been using DIPS64 (http://amip.tools-for.net/files/dips64/dips64-setup.exe). It only works on 64-bit versions of Windows (Windows 7 through 10). Once installed, if you hold the shift key down while right-clicking on an empty area on the desktop, you'll see a context menu that includes "Save Icon Positions" and "Restore Icon Positions". Once you have your icons the way you want them, Save them. Then, in the future, if they get moved around, simply Restore them. It's small and works quite well.

Old 11-25-17, 03:11 PM
H
Received 69 Votes on 60 Posts
Eh, Windows 10 supports multiple user accounts.
Setup one account as administrator, then only use if for adding programs.
Setup as many regular accounts as you have people using the computer.
Works MUCH easier...

Old 11-25-17, 03:49 PM
R
@ Donato: Ha! yes that's the ultimate answer..."his" computer is not adequate for his Flight Simulator program, so he's been told to "get a job" so he can afford a high-end computer...

@Hal_S: Yes he has his own account, and the problem does not happen all the time...trying to pin it down to maybe the way he exits his programs or account...don't know.

@Bob14525: What else does this program do, or is that it's only purpose? I trust your judgement, but I'd like a little more info before I click the link.

Thanks all!

Old 11-25-17, 05:50 PM
All the DIPS64 utility does is to give you the ability to Save/Restore the desktop icons.

Old 11-25-17, 07:17 PM
R
Thanks Bob, it works like a champ! Appreciate it, sir!

Old 11-26-17, 07:55 AM
W
Lost Desktop icons

Hi Bob, Its WML13 I downloaded the App (DIPS64) but when I held down the shift key, and right clicked on the empty area, I did not get a "save icon position" command on the context menu, (I saw restore but not "save" did I miss something?

Old 11-26-17, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by WML13 View Post
Hi Bob, Its WML13 I downloaded the App (DIPS64) but when I held down the shift key, and right clicked on the empty area, I did not get a "save icon position" command on the context menu, (I saw restore but not "save" did I miss something?
You should see both items on the context menu, Restore Icon Positions being above Save Icon Positions. I'm assuming you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, otherwise the software likely wouldn't install. I don't know what to tell you other than to try uninstalling/reinstalling the program.

Old 11-26-17, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Be sure you are well clear of a icon as it picks them up more than before. Thanks I did this also.