Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What anti virus program are you using.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-05-17, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)  
What anti virus program are you using.

This subject has been covered in the past several times but it's time to revisit it.

I've been using the paid edition of Malwarebytes for several years with good results. Their latest update has an actual application running and the entire program is using up an incredible amount of resources.... almost 50% or slightly higher with multiple tabs open.

It's time to look for a replacement.
What are you using and is it effective.... IE no virus problems ?
I'm not against a paid service. I bought the lifetime service from Malware.

I've been reading reviews and no two reviewers can agree with each other.

~ Pete ~

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

NJ

12-05-17, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Again I use no live antivirus program. I disabled the windows defender long ago.. I use free stuff....

I have never had a virus per se' whatever hijack thing I get I can usually eliminate it fast...

Ive been down to two programs to clean the computer weekly of trackers..

Superantispyware free edition...( Better then malwarebytes IMO but I do scan with malwarebytes occasionally..

Also Glary utilities for wiping cache, registry stuff etc etc...

Thats it.....

And TCP optimizer to speed up windows standard settings...

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Group Moderator

NJ

12-05-17, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks for the info Mike.

~ Pete ~

Super Moderator

AZ

12-05-17, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)  
I have Malwarebytes and Superantispyware installed, but only run them as scans. I have McAfee Total Protection as my.......no just kidding!

I use Panda Free as my antivirus running all the time. I used to use Avast or AVG back in the day and don't really remember why I changed, but it seems they were resource hogs.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NY

12-06-17, 03:31 AM   #5 (permalink)  
on windows PC I run Avast free because I'm cheep and refuse to pay.... on Linux mint I haven't been running an anti virus

NY

12-06-17, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)  
FWIW...I use MS free defender and the free Malware bytes. My reasons? MS knows what they need, so why not use what they provide. Malware is just that little extra and I only run it occasionally. Also, I'm very careful as to where I go on the Internet and what I may open in terms of e-mails.

Group Moderator

FL

12-06-17, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Still using Bitdefender as my primary with routine scans using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. I also have a stand-alone anti-ransomware program, Cryptoprevent.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Super Moderator

PA

12-06-17, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)  
I used to use the free Avast, but uninstalled it because of constant pop-ups wanting me to pay! Now I use Windows Defender which I think does a good job and it's free. Also the free versions of SuperAntiSpyware which also does a good job and run the free Malwarebytes occasionally.
I also run AdwCleaner every now and then. You can find it on bleepingcomputer

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Thanks for all the replies.

~ Pete ~

MO

12-06-17, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)  
On Linux I don't use any antivirus at all.

On Windows I only used freeware versions since back when Bill Gates only had one window, but a couple of years ago it seems that the (in-product) 'encouragement' in all the more reputable free AV softwares crossed the line from being merely annoying and became bullying. So I switched to a pay-ware-only AV, ESET NOD32. Not specifically because they had never done anything so boorish as to pester you into buying their product but because, as Forbes magazine puts it, "ESET may be the most effective virus scanner you've never heard of." And as yet I have no quarrel with their conclusion.

Group Moderator

WI

12-06-17, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)  
I've been using Avast for many years since the previous program I was using (and whose name is escaping me at the moment) became the resource hog it proposed to be the alternative to when version 8.0 came out. I've heard that other program is better now (dang, I wish I could recall the name... swear it started with an A as well). That said, I have one machine still running Windows 7 and Avast is starting to feel like it's no longer sufficient, as I'm getting hijack attempts now that I never saw previously. All the Windows 10 machines seem to be doing fine with it.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-06-17, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)  
Avira is one of the A companies.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-06-17, 05:48 PM   #13 (permalink)  
I use Avast Free version, but had to throttle back some of the settings as it was a resource hog. I can't remember the settings I turn off, but now it quietly runs in the background and warns me if I stumble on an unsafe page. Also have been using Glary's and SuperAntispyware

Super Moderator

AZ

12-06-17, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)  
Avast, Avira, AVG? Any of those ring a bell, Stick?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

WA

12-06-17, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)  
I just had a Frontier (FiOS here in the west) guy stop by to tell me they would be checking the fiber network in the next few weeks, We got to talking and he suggested I call tech support and ask for a new router. He said the original routers are (and were) junk compared to what they use now. He also told me that the free version of Avast is what he uses for anti-virus.

Group Moderator

WI

12-07-17, 11:42 AM   #16 (permalink)  
It was AVG - thanks, Vic.

I may have to try going back to it on that Win 7 machine....

KS

12-07-17, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)  
I've always used subscription Symantic/Norton antivirus programs. My decision was partially supported by the fact my state employer IT's department used Norton on all the state computer systems. I also use the free editions of Malwarebites and "Superantispyware". My theory is that you get what you pay for, hence I stick with the paid-subscriptions providers for my main protection. .

Group Moderator

WI

12-08-17, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)  
I don't think anyone will argue Norton isn't good but it tends to be a resource hog and is about the most difficult program I've ever seen to uninstall.

VA

12-08-17, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)  
I used to use Avast or AVG back in the day and don't really remember why I changed, but it seems they were resource hogs.
I used to use Avast, but it was indeed a resource hog. Switched to Microsoft Security Essentials (free download) and my performance has noticeably increased. I am running Windows 7.

Group Moderator

MN

12-08-17, 06:31 PM   #20 (permalink)  
Another Avast user here.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-08-17, 06:42 PM   #21 (permalink)  
Can't be more of a resource hog than malware bytes. They are way behind the curve.... and with the latest patch running an app.... it's pitiful.

Thanks for all the replies.

~ Pete ~

MD

12-10-17, 02:12 AM   #22 (permalink)  
I like Windows Defender it works great for me and catches a virus before it can damage my computer. I use Super anti spyware as a back up to Windows Defender. best of all both are free and one came pre-installed.

AZ

Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #23 (permalink)  
I don't have to blow money on anti-virus software anymore same as Fred. That's one of the reasons I dumped Windows on my desktop PC and switched to Linux. Linux does not need AV software.

But when i had Windows, Kaspersky was the best I ever had.

Search this Thread