pc clock doesn't always work

Old 12-14-17, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
pc clock doesn't always work

A few months ago I bought a HP desktop with Win10. Every so often the clock freezes. If I do nothing it will fix itself in 15-45 minutes or I can click on 'adjust clock' and reset the time after which it generally goes back to working. It doesn't do it all the time but at least several times a week that I notice. Any ideas what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Just to verify, are you talking about the time at the bottom left on the taskbar or a clock icon (app) on your desktop?

Old 12-14-17, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that is the one. I often look at it instead of my wrist watch .... and I hate that it lies to me!

Old 12-14-17, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Ya, that is the one
So which one is the one, lol? The taskbar or desktop icon?

Old 12-14-17, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
oops the one on the task bar, for some reason your 2nd option didn't register

Old 12-14-17, 10:48 AM
Mark, the clock battery is probably going South. I would try a new one. Replace with the same number battery as the old one. Good luck with your project.

Old 12-14-17, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
I dont think its the batt.... Its an issue with the task bar updating properly..

Something with explorer.exe...

Old 12-14-17, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't think it would be the battery since the pc is only a few months old.
Any ideas on a fix if it is an time updating issue?

Old 12-14-17, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Old 12-14-17, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Yes and try some of these...

How to fix Windows 10 clock if it's wrong ( Except that download one)..

I bet that its a new computer there may be a bios update...

I get my driver and updates through the dell site..

Almost every computer I bought had a new bios update several month later... Its not part of windows updates.. You probably need to go to HP site?

Dell site it automatically scans your computer to find latest updated drivers and such...

Old 12-14-17, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks, we have to go out for a bit but I'll definitely check those links later.

Old 12-15-17, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I reset my pc to get time updates from time.nist.gov we'll see how that does.

thanks!

Old 12-15-17, 10:16 AM
This is one of M$'s "undocumented features" dating all the way back to Vista.

The explorer.exe process probably is freezing. And the #1 cause is interference from other software. Antivirus probably is the most frequent culprit. Presuming this wasn't happening when you first got it, it could be apps or drivers you've installed since then causing explorer.exe to bog down. Slim chance it also could be MoBo or RAM.

You might get temporary relief from rebooting. Or (proably less effectively) you can kill and restart the explorer process. You can kill the process from the 'run' window (Winkey+R) but you can't open the 'run' window when explorer.exe isn't running so I do both from the task manager. In taskmgr, go to File> "Run new task" and enter "taskkill /f /im explorer.exe". Your task bar should vanish. Then run another new task of simply "explorer.exe". The task bar should return but not the Windows Explorer windows you might have had open.

One of Micro$loth's diagnostic checks for this is to boot into Safe Mode and see if it continues to happen. Which I find idiotic because who wants to spend the next week running Safe Mode (not I, said the frog). Much more practical (IMHO) to do a diagnostic boot (using msconfig) with individual suspect services or start-ups disabled to see if the problem improves or goes away. The first one I'd try would be the antivirus, but obviously this can be dodgy if you continue to surf the web or run a local email client.

Further down the pecking order (but not inordinately painful), you can try clearing the page file (get rid of possibly stodgy virtual memory). Control Panel> System> Advanced system settings> Performance settings> Advanced> Change and select No paging file. Reboot into an administrator's account in Safe Mode and check to make sure there is no Pagefile.sys in the root directory. If there is, delete it. And the hibernation file, too, unless you use hibernate (best turned off if you don't). Then reboot normally (EDIT: reverse the procedure and re-enable your page file, although Windows continues to page even if you leave it turned off). You also can test the RAM by running (Winkey+R)> memsched. It's like running chkdsk with the repair switch, the check won't run until the next time you boot.

You also can reset the CMOS (a jumper on the MoBo) but now you're talking cracking the case and I wouldn't go there until I had exhausted all other options.

Last edited by Fred_C_Dobbs; 12-15-17 at 12:20 PM. Reason: left out a detail