Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Microsoft Outlook stopped working

OH

01-12-18, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Microsoft Outlook stopped working

I am running windows 10 with a 2003 version of Microsoft outlook as an E-mail access to my local broadband company. It has stopped working, and I called them to see if it was on their end, and they said it was not. (I can access my mail with a user name and password to log into their site, but it is a lot easier with Outlook. How can I repair this issue myself for free?

Sponsored Links

TN

01-12-18, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Try logging into Windows...............................................

MA

01-12-18, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)  
What exactly isn't working? Will Outlook start or will it just not connect?

OH

01-13-18, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Outlook stopped working

Thank you for replying. I found some keys to hit in Tools and repairs somewhere that belatedly kicked it back in gear. It would open up, but the mail I could retrieve was 3 days old. I had to view current mail on the carriers site. But it came back on! Not sure how!

MA

01-13-18, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Glad it's working. Thanks for the update.

OH

01-14-18, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)  
New issue

I have an irritating box that has appeared on my screen at start up that takes a lot of deleting and escaping to get rid off so I can work. It says "The code execution cannot proceed because rt120bpl was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem"

I'm not sure where to find this program or how to re install it. What is it?

PA

01-14-18, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Eh, sounds like you might have a virus, or a bad sector on a hard disk.

First, I'd close down all programs, then run a full virus scan.
Second, open file explorer, and check each hard drive for errors. You might not be able to check C:/ becuaes the system is running, so you schedule a check the next time the computer restarts. Then restart the computer.

PA

01-15-18, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)  
WML-

I think the “bpl” files are “Boreland Precompiled Library” files. That file would be part of some third party Application that’s installed on your computer and at startup Windows is telling you that the rt120.bpl file for that Application is missing.

If you uninstall that Application (the one with the missing file) and then reinstall that Application, that may fix the problem. The missing piece (the rt120.bpl file) should be restored when the Application is reinstalled.

To find the damaged Application I would look at the list of third-party Applications that Windows is starting on computer-startup and then disable them one by one, restarting the computer each time, until the message disappears. You could then uninstall and then reinstall the Application which is damaged.

I don’t have W10 so I don’t know how you find the list of programs windows starts in W10 – but in W7 you go to

Control Panel --->System and Security--->Administrative Tools--->System Configuration--->Startup (tab) or...

just start “msconfig”

But you should be able to easily find out how to find the startup programs in windows10.

(if there are more round-about ways w10 starts apps at startup you may not find it this way - but it's worth a try)

OH

01-15-18, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Startup programs

Thanks! I will post back when I get some results from trying your steps!

OH

01-15-18, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Fixed Irritating Window

It took 8 Deletions to find it, but those were other things that were bugging me and slowing things down anyway. Now I know how to handle it when those things appear. (it turned out to be attached somehow to an ADAWARE program I loaded myself) Funny thing was that the program still worked after deleting whatever this was!
If you were me, would you reload some of the ones I deleted that were not bothering me with a pop up on the screen? (ie, Microsoftone drive?)

Thanks for the Steps!

PA

01-15-18, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)  
WML –

I would put back everything you feel wasn’t a problem. If you were running satisfactorily before this problem IMHO you would have more to gain than lose by putting the other stuff back. That’s the way it seems to me anyway, and you seem to have pretty good control now of what you want loaded at startup.

Just my opinion!

OH

01-15-18, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)  
It used to take forever for my machine to get past all the things that popped up before doing this exercise, and I haven't found anything yet that won't work, so I think I will leave it disabled. If you are ever in Sylvania, Ohio, the beer is on me!

PA

01-15-18, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)  
Thanks for the invite! I do like beer (maybe a little too much - lol).

OH

01-19-18, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)  
Beer

Well it came back.... same window ( rt120bpl) deletes with CLOSE X and then ESCAPE. I have disabled all of the startup programs that showed up using your steps for trying to find the culprit (again with no negative results other than I still have the annoying rtl20bpl window at startup. Anything else I could try?

PA

01-19-18, 06:15 PM   #15 (permalink)  
I was afraid of that. Applications can start Applications which can start Applications and so on. So to try and find out which Application (or Utility, Diagnostic, etc.) is the target for execution can be very difficult. I can’t understand why Windows doesn’t indicate which “Program” was the target for execution so the user would know what’s going on (and I did this kind of stuff for well over 32 years). At the time the error message is generated the software knows exactly what it was trying to start.

Maybe you could come up in Safe Mode and that may shed just a little light on the problem.

If you go back into msconfig there is a Tab for “boot”. If you check the box for Safe Boot I think you can come up in Safe Mode. If the message disappears when you safe boot that may help a little.

Also you can use “Event Viewer” to see if an event is recorded when the error occurs. Possibly Windows10 would include a little more identifying information in the event record that would help identify the offending program ( or actually the program that windows cannot start because rt120.bpl is missing). But I would not put a lot of hope in the event record – but it’s worth a try.

In W7 under Administrative Tools there is a selection for “Event Logs”. There should be something similar in Windows10.

OH

Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #16 (permalink)  
Safe Boot

I have a couple of things going on now. First I lost my Turbo Tax Program (unable to open it for entries) I cannot even open the TurboTax files from previous years (figure that out) I did a system restore 3 times and each time the label at the end says there was a critical error on C:\ and to to run chkdsk/r on this drive. I don't know how to do that. AND I am still getting the first thing that started all this in the first post. I can still open other icons that I use most of the time, but losing turbotax right now is a real pain. What can I do now?

NY

Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)  
If you're getting a message to run checkdisk, it means that Windows has found one or more corrupted files on the hard drive. Chkdsk/R tells Windows to locate bad sectors and recover readable information. To run it, launch an Administrative Command Prompt. To do that, right-click on the Start Menu icon in the lower left corner of your screen and select "Command Prompt (Admin)". Once the command prompt window opens, type "chkdsk/r" without the quotes and press the Enter key. The computer will likely prompt you to reboot.

Super Moderator

PA

Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)  
Have you been backing up your computer? If not, you should do so as soon as possible. Your hard drive is probably on it's way out.

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!
Bring your pets inside in this cold weather! Have some compassion and sense.

OH

Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)  
I have I have been backing things up but can do more, I have two flash drives almost full, but will get on it once I get things working here again with the C Drive

thanks!

OH

Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #20 (permalink)  
I right clicked on the start menu but could not find a "command prompt" or ADMIN. I did see a "run" line which when opened I could type in the letters you sent me chkdsk/r. but it would not recognize it, and told me so. This is a 4 year old Lenovo running windows 10. What am I missing, or not seeing?

Super Moderator

PA

Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #21 (permalink)  
Just type command prompt in the search box and it'll come up there.

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!
Bring your pets inside in this cold weather! Have some compassion and sense.

PA

Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)  
Well I just saw your latest posts so maybe you could just tuck away the stuff below for use later, if you so choose. Looks like you have more urgent problems now. I agree with Bob, try using chkdsk with the repair option.

rtl120.bpl contains .dll files (executable code files) and all files needed by a program are listed in the installation file for that program. Installation files have the extension .msi. Actually the .msi is a data base for the program (it’s that complex). So in other words, there should be some .msi file on your computer which contains a reference to the rtl120.bpl file. So if you can find the .msi file which contains the rtl120.bpl reference you would know which program(s) is having a problem because it is missing the rtl120.bpl file.

There is a program called Orca which is a data base editor for .msi files. I downloaded Orca from somewhere years ago, but you should be able to search and find it out there somewhere and download it.

You can execute Orca and tell it to open the given .msi file you are interested in. You can then look to see which Files comprise the given program. For example, using Orca below is the file list in the .msi file for my PowerPoint installation. You can see all of the required components and the File Name of the Component.

If you use Window Explorer and look at the folder “C:/Windows/Installation” you will see a list of .msi files with funny names. But if you go into “Detail” view and choose “Subject” for one of the column headings, you can look down the “Subject” column and see the plain language name of the associated .msi file. Below you can see my Powerpoint Installation file name: 3d8452.msi and that’s the file I opened with Orca.

So you could look through .msi files that might be candidates.

But one more thing you could look at first. When programs are installed in some cases Windows keeps an installation log describing how the installation proceeded. If you look through the logs (if any exist) you might see who/when installed rtl120.bpl. The logs are kept in the “AppData/Loca/Temp” folder. Here is a view and you can see the log name for the installation log for GoogleToolbar – and below is the snapshot of the log file (i.e., GoogleToolbarInstaller.log) and you can see which components were installed (marked Successfully Extracted).

Anyway all of the above is to see if you can figure out which program is missing the component rtl120.bpl.

However, if you are having disk errors, that might actually be the cause of the problem. The Windows error message may be misleading – the problem may be that the component rtl120.bpl cannot always be read properly.

I had a disk problem not long ago and it turned out that Windows was seeing read errors for weeks (or maybe months) and was entering a lot of Disk Read error events in the event logs which I just happened to see via Event Viewer. I don’t remember which log they were recorded in, but there aren’t that many. Maybe you could take a look with Event Viewer to see if any disk errors are being recorded.

Attached Images

OH

Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #23 (permalink)  
Beer

I went in to see if I could try a much earlier restore point, (and I reloaded all of the applications I disabled in the start menu taskbar)
This time it gave me an earlier restore point to use, and I engaged it for a reset. IT WORKED. I still have the bpl box on start up but I can now get to my turbo tax and have saved it to my flash drive just in case, (will continue to save it there as well as on the desktop. Oh I also did a disc cleanup for the C drive too. After I get the taxes done, I will go after the bpl and see how it goes!

Thanks for all of the replies.

Success comes in cans, not in cannots!

Search this Thread