My keyboard letters are all starting to stick

Old 01-16-18, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My keyboard letters are all starting to stick

Is this keyboard done for? the keys are getting sticky ,,,everyone . Is there spray cleaner or "oiler upper" TYPE SOLUTION Thank you much bob s~~~~~~~~~~~~ its a hp printer

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-18, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
You mean it's an HP computer ?

Is it a laptop or a desktop ?
Desktop keypads are very inexpensive now.
Any cleaning solution sprayed or dripped into the keyboard will kill it.

Old 01-16-18, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on the model...it can be a real easy fix...if it's a laptop. If it's a desktop, as stated, keyboards are cheap. Heck, I've got 2 brand new in the box. Can't give 'em away.

Old 01-17-18, 03:37 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Remove each key and using a q-tip and rubbing alcohol clean each key pad. Tedious but effective.

Old 01-17-18, 04:02 AM
computer~~~~~~~~~~~~~ not printer gettin worse i am.

Old 01-17-18, 04:06 AM
desk top pc Any wild-- ideas how much keyboards are. just at a guess etc thanks. I'm housebound for awhile bob s

Old 01-17-18, 04:08 AM
Just last weekend I had similar symptoms with a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Initially I thought it was weak batteries (affecting both keyboard AND Mouse simultaneously !) and I installed new batteries in both and then I traced the problem to the sending unit that needed to be repositioned from where it had fallen.

Old 01-17-18, 04:57 AM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
Maybe it's just me, or maybe I should lay something over it when not in use, but my keyboard accumulates a lot of "stuff" that I imagine could slow down the keys if left to pile up there. I shower every day, I don't eat meals at my desk, and I don't use it as a workbench, but you wouldn't know any of this by looking at my keyboard some days. I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that the electrons flowing gather dust, just like the cpu, but guess it doesn't matter. So with the computer off, every couple of weeks I turn the keyboard over and tap it, not hard but firmly against my desk pad, and out comes the eraser dust and whatever, then run a small paint brush that the wife uses for dusting small knickknacks around the keys, then dampen a soft rag with Windex and wipe it off quickly. It takes maybe a minute or two, but at least looks more healthy to work at. I don't know if that might help, but like I said I imagine it could slow things down if allowed to accumulate.

Old 01-17-18, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Bob.... you need a wired keyboard. You need to determine if it's plugged into a USB port or the old style connector. I found USB keyboards from $2.50 and up online. Walmart, Target, possibly BestBuy, Staples should have them.

Old 01-18-18, 03:28 PM
Are you talking about a remote "mouse"? i never heard of A remote keyboard bob s

Old 01-18-18, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
There are both keyboards and mouses that are remote.here is a page of them
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...eless+keyboard

Old 03-17-18, 10:25 AM
I have a logitech remote keyboard and I love it. I had bought one for my parents so that my mom could use her pc from her wheelchair more easily, and I really liked hers, so I got one too.

Old 03-17-18, 10:51 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
In order of least cost to highest:

For starters, turn off the computer and either unplug it or turn off the switch on the power supply. The registers don't necessarily clear when you do a normal shut-down so you have to turn off the PSU or unplug it for 30 seconds or so to to make sure they're cleared.

If it's still flaky, if it's a wireless keyboard, take the batteries out for a few seconds, then put them back in and test it. If it's still flaky, put in fresh batteries.

If it's still flaky, clean under all the keys. Take a pic of the keyboard before you start in case you can't remember where the keys were to start. Use a small flathead screwdriver to prise them out. There probably will be a disgusting amount of hair, lint and dander in there. I usually only remove one row at a time. You can use canned air to blow it out but that works best if you've removed all the keys because it tends to chase the crud underneath the keys that are still installed. A small paint brush or a bunch of q-tips also works, and gives you better control over where the debris ends up. If you find some crusty patches, try dipping the q-tip in rubbing alcohol.

If it's still flaky, buy a new one. I get excellent service out of the Logitech brand. Wally World has Logitech mouse and keyboard combos advertised online for as little as $15. If you intend buying online, when you've found one you like, check to see if they have the same item at NewEgg.com and if they do, check the reviews. I'm not suggesting you buy from New Egg but their customers tend to be more "techie" than most, so I find their reviews are pretty trustworthy.