Slow computer

Old 01-26-18, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow computer

my pc runs sooo slow. does anyone recommend any PC clean up software? my PC knowledge is very basic

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-18, 06:53 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
I'd try cleaning up the hard drives first...

Log in via administrator accound, open "my computer" or "this PC" and check the hard drives.

First, check the hard drives for errors - this makes sure that the files are actually there, not broken.
Properties - Tools - Error checking.
Repeat for each hard drive.

Second, IIRC, under C:\ "General" tab, click on "disk cleanup" first get rid of junk files, then run again and "clean up system files"
This opens up space on the drive for the computer to store work, and store information.

Third, run defragment.
This collects the free space into large, usable blocks.

See if you have any change in speed.

Old 01-26-18, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 24 Posts
Good advice from Hal. It might be enlightening if you could tell us the specs on your machine as well.

Right click on My Computer, select Properties and post the info shown under Windows Edition and under System - Processor, Installed memory (RAM), and System type.

Also check other suggestions made to the OP in this thread.

Old 01-26-18, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I would also recommend running a malware scan. Often times hidden viruses/spyware/adware can slow down your computer a lot too.

I use MalwareBytes. I typically use the free version.

Old 01-26-18, 10:41 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
All good suggestions. However, if you have an SSD (Solid State Drive), you should not defragment the drive. First, it won't give you any speed improvement due to the fact that it's solid state (no latency or seek issues). Secondly, and most importantly, you'll shorten the life of your SSD by defragmenting it. SSD's have a finite number of writes that they can make before the cells become unreliable. Defragmenting the drive moves a lot of data resulting in writing most of the data on the SSD multiple times as it tries to make the files contiguous.

Old 01-27-18, 01:19 PM
Is your data backed up? If so, consider reformatting. That's usually my first suggestion. There are far more elegant solutions than this, of course.

Old 01-28-18, 08:06 AM
I would try Crap Cleaner (CCleaner). I use the free version and it will scan your system for old, not needed registry files, amongst other things. Make sure you save the backup registry file it offers you if you do this.

It can also show you all the programs installed on your pc. You might have tons of stuff installed that you don't use that is dragging down performance. If you're not sure if you should delete a program, Google Should I Remove It? It will give you info on every program on your PC. My advice: if you're not sure if you should delete it- don't delete it.

Also check things like the Recycle Bin and your downloads folder. Delete anything you don't need.

Also try to figure out causes that only you can control. For example: if you're running heavy programs like Photoshop and trying to download torrents while streaming video all at the same time, and your system isn't meant to handle that load, you'll have to prioritize which program(s) you want to run.

I agree 100% with other posters: make sure your data is backed up. Always. I had a computer teacher tell me that data isn't truly backed up unless it's backed up to 3 different places. That may be a bit extreme, but at least put your data on a jump drive or something before making system changes. Generally speaking, backing up data is just good practice.

Knowing your system specs would help, too.

Best of luck.