Passport USB Drive

Old 02-03-18, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Passport USB Drive

My computer hasn't been recognizing the external USB drive. I'm using windows 10 on a desktop.
I don't want to touch it right now, but I'm pretty sure if I unplug it an plug it back in it will be recognized.

How can I be sure it operates whenever needed for backup files and such? It doesn't show up in any directories or what used to be known as 'My Computer'.

Appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-18, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a similar issue, but the drive did show up in "This PC" and it would error when I try to access it if it was left unused for 20 minutes. My issue was a "power saving" feature in windows 10 that was hidden in the device manager.

First, there's settings in Power Options. There's "Turn hard disk off after x minutes" and "USB selective suspend." For me, the problem persisted even with these off.

In the device manager, with the external hdd plugged in and still recognized by windows, the device should show up. Right-click -> Properties -> Power Management tab.

Hope it helps.

Old 02-04-18, 05:31 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
I occasionally have this problem when I plug a USB flash drive into my Win10 desktop computer. It happens maybe 5% of the time. I merely unplug it and plug it back in, and then it's recognized. In my case, it happens so infrequently that I've never tried to determine why it happens.