Safari Security Alerts

Old 02-27-18, 08:52 AM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
Thumbs down Safari Security Alerts

I'm not sure if this is related but...

For several days I have been getting Safari security alerts when browsing the New Posts page. The alerts say that security certificates for various URLs are not valid. The URLs are: stags.bluekai.com, secure.adnxs.com, ibadnxs.com, tags.bluekai.com.

I just Cancel the alert and whatever is causing it does not load. Of course I know enough not to even try to go to one of those links since I have no idea what they are for (probably pop-up ads.)

Any ideas about them and how to stop them? I am on a MacBook Air running OSX 10.95 Safari 9.1.3.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-18, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
I moved this to the Computer forum.
This has nothing to do with this site. It has to do with Safari and possible virus's of sorts.
Hopefully someone can help you to get rid of this.

Old 02-27-18, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 342 Votes on 320 Posts
stags.bluekai(.)com is an unwanted adware program.
secure.adnxs(.)com - another unwanted adware program.

You can search for removal services.
I'm not familiar enough with safari to help you directly.

www.Malwarebytes.com would be a good free one to use.

Old 02-27-18, 10:58 AM
Shadeladie: Thanks for the move.

Pjmax: And thanks for the suggestion. I will post back if it works.

Those alerts are only showing when I am using this site.

Old 02-27-18, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 342 Votes on 320 Posts
I can see what services are used here in the forums and they are not listed. Some sources I'm reading say they are legitimate advertising providers whose services have been hijacked.

I've been noticing a spate of browser application apps that seem to appear out of nowhere. Most notably with chrome. Google is interjecting their own ads when you browse and these "other" companies somehow get attached and offer their own advertisements.

Don't be fooled by online help sources like spyhunter. They offer free scanning services that scan your computer, find many mysterious problems and then charge to "remove" them but don't.

I'm sure safari has an app location. Look there and see what applications are running in the safari browser. If the app is not something you want or need.... disable it first. If that takes care of the issue.... delete it. I've had to do this with several family members in their chrome browsers.

Old 02-27-18, 02:29 PM
I found cookies for bluekai and adnxs and removed them. Checked to see if there were any applications or files with related names and did not find any.

Read in Apple Support that this is a recognized problem but not a virus. Especially affects OSX below version 10 and upgrading to version 13 seems to resolve it. I am leery of upgrading three versions above my existing (if even possible) and will just wait and see if the actions I have taken resolve or minimize the issue.

If necessary I can use Firefox instead of Safari.

Knock on wood: So far in this session I have not experienced any such alerts.

Old 02-28-18, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
This often happens when you get an extension installed that you shouldn't have. I've experienced it in FF and Chrome (though honestly so rarely use Safari, I don't know the details)

Check the extensions section of Safari. I bet there's an extension there that you don't recognize.

Old 02-28-18, 11:48 AM
Nope. No extensions there. There is an ON-OFF button that was turned ON. I turned it OFF in case the security alerts that I am canceling are a preliminary attempt to install something there. If something sneaks by it will be inactive.

Old 02-28-18, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
You really need to update your computer. Much the same with Windows regular updates help fix known vulnerabilities and problems.