Turn off Windows 10 Splash Screen?

Old 04-04-18, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
Turn off Windows 10 Splash Screen?

Is it possible to turn off the splash screen in Windows 10? When waking or booting up I would like Windows to come right up with the password window instead of the picture that I have to click through to enter the login.

I have gone into system configuration and selected "no GUI boot" and the splash scree remains.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-18, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just never turn mine off . . . . so unless I oversleep, it's ready to go first thing in the morning.

Old 04-04-18, 07:06 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
1 – Press the Windows+R key combination to open a “Run” box.
2 – Type (or copy and paste) netplwiz into the Run box, then press the Enter key. The “User Accounts” dialog box will open.
3 – Click on your account name to select it, then uncheck the box beside Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
4 – Click Apply. The “Automatically sign in” dialog box will open.
5 – If this account has a password assigned to it, type the password into both of the password fields. If the account doesn’t have a password, simply skip this step.
6 – Click OK, then click OK again.
Note: If your computer has more than one user account, you’ll need to repeat this procedure for each of the remaining user accounts in order to bypass the Logon Screen.

Old 04-04-18, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
I want to keep the password. I just want to get rid of the stupid splash screen that appears before you can enter your password.

Old 04-04-18, 08:59 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Hmmm...I don't think you can do.

Edit...Try this

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001387.htm

Last edited by Norm201; 04-04-18 at 09:03 AM. Reason: try this
Old 04-04-18, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'm not sure you can get rid of that screen.

Most OSes implemented that 'splash screen' a number of years ago to help protect the password entry. I think it was because you could accidentally lock yourself out of the computer by entering bad passwords without even realizing it.

Old 04-05-18, 09:36 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I think what you're referring to as a "splash screen" is the "lock screen." This is the Win10 splash screen:

You can turn off the lock screen with a Group Policy Object, which I'm thinking doesn't leave anything but the login prompt but I haven't tested it to confirm. Instructions for creating the GPO are here.

But you can't create the GPO if you don't have gpedit.msc installed, which the Home version of Win10 doesn't. You can check by hitting <Winkey><R> and entering "gpedit.msc." The files are already on the computer, just not where they need to be to work as designed. Instructions on how to enable gpedic.msc are here.