Newer Computer Copier attachment

Old 04-14-18, 12:34 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Newer Computer Copier attachment

I had to switch my 3 year old lenovo thinkpad to a hp G71-445US Notebook upgraded to Windows 10 as the hard drive gave up on the lonovo. I was using a Brother MFC-J4620-DW wireless copier with the Lenovo that I want to use with the HP. When I insert the Disc for driver upload to the HP I get a message that I have to be logged in with "administrator rights" to proceed with the process. I do not know how to log in as an administrator. Can someone help me with the Steps with this HP?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-18, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Have you gone to their website to download it right from there, rather than using the disc?

Old 04-14-18, 08:31 PM
Copier Attachment

i had no luck with Brother's instuctions for starting a download. I was going to wait until Monday to call them personally, if you didnt have a quick fix for me.

Good advice, but and probably just me, but I had no luck with that.

Old 04-15-18, 03:51 AM
Received 58 Votes on 56 Posts
How do I log on as an administrator?

Type the user name and password for your account in the Welcome screen.
Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button. , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage another account. .

Old 04-15-18, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drivers for Windows 10 64 bit are here Downloads | MFC-J4620DW | United States | Brother

Old 04-15-18, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
WML13, if you have Win10 Home version, the Administrator's account will not be enabled by default. As a work-around, you can try installing from Window's 'Run' applet because all commands executed through it are run with Administrator's privileges. That might work.*

To run the setup from 'Run', first you need to identify the drive letter your PC has assigned to the optical drive with the Brother setup disk in it. Open File Explorer and look in the left-hand pane.

The disk I've loaded has set-up files for a WMP110 networking device, and looking through the drives listed in the left-hand pane, I can see that my PC calls it the "H:" drive (circled in red).

In most cases the executable will be in the root directory of the disk, and its name will be "setup.exe," so give that a try first. Open the 'Run' applet. Hold down the Windows key (that's the one with the Micro$loth flag on it) and tap the letter 'R' (the geek shorthand for that is <WinKey><R>). That should open a window that looks like this:

I've already typed in the set-up command that matches the drive letter I just identified in File Explorer. Do the same with yours but using the drive letter that matches your circumstance. What I have entered is H:\setup.exe. That should start the set-up routine with Administrator privileges.

Obviously this won't work unless the setup executable is named "setup.exe" or if it isn't located in the disk's root directory, but we'll get into that if necessary.

*The reason Win10 is objecting to you trying to install this scanner is a security function Micro$loth first implemented in Windows Vista, called User Account Control (UAC). UAC (IMHO) has never been properly implemented and (also IMHO) they've made it worse, if anything, in Win10. The account I'm using in Win10 has full Administrator's privileges, I've hacked the Windows registry to entirely disable UAC, and I've taken ownership of every file and every directory on my PC (the last one is an especially extreme measure). So if you examine the security properties of any file or directory in the entire computer, the "Effective Permissions" show that my user account has "Full control," known in geek-speak as "God Mode." Yet I still encounter the same problem you're having now, about once every week or so. Which is why I wrote in the opening paragraph that this might work. And also why I think, four new Windows versions down the line, UAC is still a botched job.

Old 04-15-18, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Geez, I think it would just be easier to click on the link Davejb posted and run it from there.

Old 04-18-18, 07:40 PM
Newer Computer Copier Attachment

My Son-in law has to clear out a bunch of security road blocks he installed to let me get past the walls he put up when his wife, my daughter, was using this computer. I thought he had already done it, but he didn't. If I get that done, I should be Ok with the downloads from all sources I need to put in this computer., I have another question though. I had a number of XCELL files that I saved to a USB drive before my other computer crashed. I cannot open them with this computer, Does the excell program have to be loaded on this computer to read the USB drive excell files saved on the USB? Is there another way to open them?

Old 04-19-18, 03:53 AM
Received 58 Votes on 56 Posts
You need a spreadsheet program to read a spreadsheet. You don't necessarily need Excel. There are other suites that can read them albeit some formatting may be lost. Look at Libre Office, it's free. I think GOOGLE can import an Excel file.

Old 04-19-18, 06:20 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Basic reading is free on MS website

https://products.office.com/en-us/of...-office-online