need help with a messed up pc firefox and explorer

Old 05-13-18, 06:06 AM
need help with a messed up pc firefox and explorer

iMessed up something I had firefox but they took all pictures away and left just the wrtiing [typing] So I was told to got to I/EXplorer. now I have lost all my bookmarks. i need help badly Please share how or some one who can get me straitened out...........if they do this here? thanks for reading this bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-18, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
What version of Windows are you using? Who is they?

Old 05-13-18, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you are using an older computer with an older operating system. Firefox is not as friendly to older systems as it once was.

Firefox is just a browser so there are no pictures in it.
We'd need a detailed explanation of the problem to help you to even begin to be able to help you.

Old 05-13-18, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
While I'm not 100% understanding your problem, you haven't lost your bookmarks. They're still in Firefox but they wouldn't be in IE unless you transfer them over. Every browser has a tool to transfer bookmarks from one to another.
I'm not sure what you mean about losing pictures, but you can use System Restore to try and go back to a time before you did whatever you did. That may help.

Old 05-13-18, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by bsa_bob2
iMessed up something
I had firefox but they took all pictures away and left just the wrtiing [typing]

So I was told to got to I/EXplorer.
Now I have lost all my bookmarks.
Eh, sounds like you hit F9 and then F11 on you keyboard.
Probably laid something on the keyboard, or you've got a cat.

Firefox, has a "reader mode' which removes all pictures, which is toggled by F9 key at the top right side of the keyboard.

Firefox has a "no menu" mode which is toggled by F11 key at the top right.

Try starting firefox, then hitting F9 and F11 keys.

Last edited by Hal_S; 05-13-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 06:56 AM
I am using windows 7 thanks for coming to my rescue bob s

Old 05-14-18, 08:33 AM
they was facebook. Long story short hopefully. I lost any and allthe pictures and videos on facebook-The gal that helped me put F/B on I/E. so now. I have them- pictures everything back working. The problem i have now, is this-,i had; Yahoo as my home page ,along with my email --for lots of years.It won't open up.It says. MY yahoo has stopped working and thats it .even after retry, Not being a Computer type guy i'm dead in the water., anything else needed please lmk- and thank you for looking at my post bob s

Ps i clicked on my opening page ------each time before. Now all i can get is F/B and my pictures.

Up top left of my screen says "server can't be found"

Old 05-14-18, 10:44 AM
windows 7 and my pc is an older one by HP bob s

Old 05-14-18, 02:19 PM
i had; Yahoo as my home page ,along with my email --for lots of years.It won't open up.It says. MY yahoo has stopped working

Eh, not entirely sure, but it sounds like Firefox automatically loged you in to Yahoo.

Could be that a seucrity update to Windows 7 reset your default web browser from Firefox to Window's browser, IE.

First option, change the default browser back to Firefox.
Second option, sign in to Yahoo through IE, putting in username and password.

Old 05-14-18, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Name:  71313.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  14.8 KB*

Name:  Screenshot_20180514_170956.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  38.4 KB*

Old 05-15-18, 05:01 AM
GOOD[B]NEWS The gal who helped me before dropped by [B][ yesterday and hooked me up Alls good again thank you guys for al the help you were trying it give to A slow learner. great day all bob s

Old 05-15-18, 05:22 AM
Firefox has a "no menu" mode which is toggled by F11 key at the top right.
Forgot about that feature. I could've used it many times in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 05-16-18, 04:27 AM
Well i spoke to soon!I lost my bookmarks and back to square one. bob s

ps; Darn it.

Old 05-16-18, 04:32 AM
Try a re-install. Go to control panel and delete Firefox. Then download the latest copy and install.
Download the latest copy first then delete and re-install.

Old 05-16-18, 04:43 AM
Don't delete Firefox just yet.

You temporarily "loose" bookmarks after Firefox updates to a new version,
your bookmarks will return when you restart the Firefox program.

This might explain your first problem, Firefox has had several updates over the last few weeks, (e.g. Version 59.1, 59.4 version 60), and in some cases two updates in a week-
After an update, the FIRST time it restarts, Firefox may be in "default mode" with all features disabled.
as it checks for plugin-compatibility and machine compatibility. It may seem like your saved information is gone, and Firefox may prompt you to sign-in-to-firefox-again, and refuse to accept your password.

Don't worry.
The SECOND time it restarts, Firefox should open in "signed in mode" and reload with bookmarks and sign-in information intact.

Last edited by Hal_S; 05-16-18 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 05:04 AM
Hal,

Correct you are. As I write this an update is in progress.

Old 05-16-18, 05:33 AM
Eh, I went through the "why is my sign in wrong" about 3 weeks ago, after a series of rapid updates.

First rule of computers "never let a machine know you're in a hurry"

Second computer "if something's wrong, restart the program, if that doesn't work, then restart the computer..."

Old 05-16-18, 09:46 AM
Ii think your onto my thoughts too.Hal---restart firefox. just look it up =and download the latest issue. because she the gal helping me.removed it bob s do i need to starfirefox in safe mode? or w/addons or w/o addons? Hal

Old 05-16-18, 01:22 PM
You should be able to download the new 60.0 version of firefox, and just install it - IN THE DEFAULT DIRECTORY.

When firefox starts after an update, it automaticallly starts up into "safe mode", which means it won't have your bookmarks etc.

Close it and start it up again, and it MIGHT load your old settings into the new version, based on the files that remain after it was uninstalled.

Firefos ALSO saves your settings, bookmarks, history, tabs, etc IF you have a Firefox-Account,
which requires a username and password. This is meant to allow you to sync your firefox account over several computers, but it also means that your settings are STORED at the firefox server.

So, try reinstalling, it might just restore everything back to the way it was.
If that doesn't work, try restoring via a firefox account (usually an email and password) and see if that works.

Old 05-17-18, 05:21 AM
[B]I think i got it going in the right direction now. with your help Its much appreciated all[/B
specially You Hal] bob s

Old 05-17-18, 06:19 AM
Thanks,

Checklistif it doesn't work

(1) check for updates

(2) restart the program

(3) restart the computer.

(4) don't change passwords or uninstall or throw the computer out a 2nd story window until after 1-2-3...

Old 05-18-18, 11:41 AM
Use Chrome, even if the machine is older. You can easily import your bookmarks and use the best browser there is- no issues.