Reviving Hewlett Packard.

Old 06-09-18, 10:26 AM
Reviving Hewlett Packard.

I have a 3 year old Hewlett Packard G71-445US Notebook that my Son I law borrowed and reconfigured somehow. I got it so at least I can get and send E-mail, but I cannot hook up my Brother Copier to print and a few other things, How to I clear out the stuff he put in to firewall it or whatever and Administrator can do without damaging anything. Asking him is like asking a wall....Its running windows 7 according to the sticker on it, but it may have been upgraded along the way.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 07:20 AM
How about starting from scratch? Is there any reason you can't wipe the drive?

There should be an option to restore it to OEM using the HP Recovery Manager.

Back up anything you want to save first!

Turn the computer on and keep hitting F11. It should bring up the Recover Manager screen. Choose "I need help immediately" and then "restore your computer to original factory state."

Old 06-10-18, 09:13 AM
Reviving HP Computer

The one thing that needs to be saved is a Firefox Icon for reading email, Is there a way to save that?

Old 06-10-18, 10:45 AM
Firefox is a web browser. You can easily reinstall it by downloading it.

I'm assuming you use a browser to read your email.

Save your bookmarks to a flash drive.

Old 06-10-18, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by aandpdan[/quote
and reconfigured somehow.
I wouldn't jump to reconfigure it ALL the way back to factory, because then you'll likley have to deal with 3 years worth of Windows updates, Adobe updates, flash updates, email passwords and 2 step verification, etc.

First thing, look over the system information sumary by hitting WinKey-X and then selecting system, then about. That will give you basic info,
What is the OS Win-7, Win-10? What version, 32 bit or 64 bit...
If it's been updated to Win-10, then I'd just refresh Firefox, or, depending on how the useraccounts are setup, create a new, clean user account for yourself.

When you 're in Chrome or Firefox, check the "help / about" drop-down menus to see whether they're up to date. FYI, you can create a firefox user account, and password, which then remembers and syncs your tabs and passwords, also makes it much quicker to restore a usable computer.

Some of the issues sound like what I've had a happen when some family members wanted to "swap" a computer that somebody else used; they tried switching the existing user's accounts and email around, which didn't work well.
The better solution when two people use a computer is to just create a separate user account for each person. Also, put a separate password protected administror account in place, use that only for important updates, and demote the other uses so they can't install programs automatically. That's a basic lockdown issue so that viruses, bloatware and unwanted programs can't just install themselves if somebody clicks on a bad link.
Although it might see like a hassle to have multiple users, but it can make setup much easier, and more secure.

Old 06-20-18, 08:45 AM
That does sound like it would make more sense. ASAP I will attempt to do the new user set up per your steps and see how it goes. I will post back with success or failure story!