Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ok, what about this:

Visiting Guest

05-16-01, 04:48 PM   #1  
Smokey
Hello, fellow doityourself'ers:

Smokey has an old 200 MHz Pentium computer, 3 gig hard drive, 48 megs of RAM, sound board, Zip drive (for back up).

I'm really getting ready to drown this machine for a new one but it has a problem I haven't figured out.

It had Windows 95 so I added Windows 98 Second Edition. It had McAfee Anti-Virus 4.0 and I added McAfee 5.1 to the latest edition. I have Internet Explorer 5.1 with SP1 (Service Patch). According to McAfee and Windows, I have all the latest revisions. I added MS Works 6.0 and PhotoSuie 4.0. I have MS-Office 2000 (Small Business Version) and use Outlook2000 email software.

Now, this was a well mannered computer when it ran Windows 95 and didn't have all the new software. Slow? Yes. But at my age, slow is a state of life.

Now it can't go a week unless I run the Maintenance Wizard (delete files, scandisk, disk defragmenter). If I forget, it crashes, goes to SAFE MODE, and allows me to catch up on my maintenance. But, before, it was well behaved. Now it is a "maintenance monger".

I'm not complaining. I can adjust. But, has anyone ever seen a computer that turns ugly like this one?

Smokey says y'all good folks. Come back!

Smokey

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-16-01, 06:09 PM   #2  
bigmike
To Old:)

Well like you and I are getting Smokey the computer is just to old to handle that software. Just about every program you have on it is wanting a 266 plus CPU and a 300 plus recomended. It will run but you are going to have to do what you have been doing to keep it running. In my opinion the system will eventualy crash, I have done some experiments with the older CPU's I have laying around and have yet to get a 200 or less to run Windoze 98 especialy 98SE.

CANADA

05-17-01, 04:19 AM   #3  
Hi smokey , there is likely not much I can tell you that you don't already know and more.

I am running 2 computers (networked), one with a 200mmx (66 mhz bus), 128meg of memory , 2 drives 2.1 & 3.1geg, 2cd rom (1 is a burner)windows me.

The other computer is a 166mmx, 1.6geg, 540meg drice, 1 cd rom, 32 meg menory. This computer drawback is its memory (simms) and sluggest hard drive. 98 2nd edition.

Each operating system that comes out requires more resources to run it. If you have the anti-virus always activated, it can slow things down at times, I have mine not set to auto and just do a manual started scan every couple of days. (norton antivirus 2001) I am guessing that your 200mhz is running a 66 mhz bus speed. The cheaper sound and video cards will use some of your main memory up, the more expensive cards have more on-card memory. One thing is to keep as much OUT of the start-up folder as possible. The more that here or quick-launch items, anything that auto starts at bootup can take resources even if you are not using it. Also make sure that anti-virus software is always disabled/closed when un-installing or installing software, reboot after every install or uninstall.

More memory may help, I would recmmend keeping a min. of 500 megs free on your hard drive. Going after all the windows 98 updates on the microsoft site. Also should you have downloaded the latest version of microsoft media player, it requries 64 megs of memory to run properly, at least with Windows ME. Try to have more than microsofts min required memory for the operating system.

Visiting Guest

05-17-01, 05:01 AM   #4  
bigmike
no help

Hum, I thought I said that. Even the extra memory wont suffice! The processor just doesn't have enough horse power to keep up. Why 500 megs of drive? Swap file rarely gets above 25 megs and if it does get that large it needs to be deleted and rebuilt (auto does this). I am not saying that more memory wont help but the system will never be like this 1 gig or even my 350 or 300 or 266.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-17-01, 06:57 AM   #5  
I was once running Win98 on a DX4-100 and 16 mb SIMM. Microsoft and many others said it could not be done......

Of course now my slowest processor is 400 mhz and has 96 mb DIMM on a 100 mhz fsb.

Visiting Guest

05-17-01, 07:47 AM   #6  
Smokey
That's What I Figured It Was

The sound you hear in the background is someone playing Taps over this old machine! I figured I took it out of it's league when I brought it up to the 21st Century. Oh well, time to get one of those gig-and-a-half units.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Smokey

WI

05-17-01, 08:47 AM   #7  
dont toss it, turn it into a Linux network server or jsut plain old learn linux box like I did. shoould run pretty good. Everyone thought the 486 was obsolete untill they learned that linux runs better on that then it does on the power box. I could not even get it to load on my k6/2-500, but loaded with no props on the 486-dx/100

CANADA

05-17-01, 10:23 AM   #8  
I get a warning message when my drive approaches 200 megs of free space, saying that it recommends at least 200 megs of free space. I have noticed on my own system that the system performs better when the free space on C drive stays above 500 megs (or at least above 300), the swap file of course should be small, and I don't have an explanation for it, I just know that my systems work better this way.

It will never perform as good as the newer cpu/motherboards will, and although some will disagree with me but 200 is still not a bad cpu, and will do most families with budgets and children quite nicely. Wish I was close enough that Smokey if he was to discard it to throw it in my garbage can, ha, ha ..!!

Visiting Guest

05-17-01, 12:32 PM   #9  
bigmike
Disk warning

Well the warning you are getting about disk space can be fixed by looking in My Computer and see how large the swap file is set. Now what I have done and has worked most excellent, is to assign the swap file to an unused drive. I installed a 400 meg drive and use it for nothing but the swap file. Fixed tons of slow run problems etc. Think about it, the swap and all the programming on the same drive. Double duty for the c:\ drive right? It made all the difference on this system.

[Edited by bigmike on 05-17-01 at 03:55]

Visiting Guest

05-17-01, 12:49 PM   #10  
Smokey
Smokey uses an Omega 250 Mbyte "D" Zip Drive for the same thing.
Also do hard drive back up every month using the same drive.

Smokey

CANADA

05-17-01, 01:01 PM   #11  
That is a good tip Bigmike, I never though about using a small dedecated drive for a swap file but it should work well.

Search this Thread