Wall socket replacement

Old 06-22-18, 04:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall socket replacement

Hello, I live in Brisbane, Australia. Iím currently having problems with my internet connection. Iíve just got ADSL2+ installed in my property, but the connection is poor. My local provider (Optus) was out installing the package and mentioned that the connection could be horrible based on a dodgy wall socket. At the time I wasnít home, only my partner, so I am not too clear on which bit was dodgy. Long story short, an electrician is coming out to replace the socket based on the Optus technicians advice but I want to know clearly what he is needing to replace. I will attach some picture of the two culprits. I have done some research and presume he can just replace the bottom wall socket with a newer version in which I can just plug the phone/adsl splitter straight into. Just looking for some clarity and advice. Any would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Pictures relating to post -

https://imgur.com/a/DXygd6b

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-18, 08:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Need a little clarification because this is primarily a North American forum. What kind of socket. Do you mean a 220 volt receptacle you plug things into for power or a phone jack or a cable TV connection?.

Old 06-26-18, 10:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
From the picture, it looks like it's just an old telephone receptacle/socket. The issue is older wiring and plugs would cause static and loose connections - which isn't really much of a problem if you're just using a telephone. But for digital signals, they cause problems.

An electrician (or someone handy with wiring) could easily replace that phone receptacle and possibly also the wiring to ensure you have a good connection.