Picture program

Old 07-04-18, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Picture program

I'm heartbroken. I was forced to upgrade my computer from Vista pro to W7 pro. I've lost the best picture program I've ever used.... the one that was native to Vista. I could rotate, crop and modify a picture in seconds.

There is supposed to be a download available from Microsoft of that equivalent but I haven't found it yet. I see mention of W7 media center.

I need a fast easy to use program.
I've tried......
Fast Stone
IR Fanview
and several others.

I don't want a photoshop. I want something basic and quick. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know why Microsloth can't make their native PAINT program with the features that every user expects.

Holy cow, my 1986 Macintosh Plus had a better program than Paint.

Old 07-04-18, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
I use IrFanview for rotating cropping and resizing. It is very easy to use.

Old 07-04-18, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
I tried it Ray. It works but I'm not fond of it.

Old 07-04-18, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Fair enough. I also use Gimp but would never recommend it. Love my paint program but it won't run in your OS.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-04-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
I tried Gimp. Quite a learning curve.

Old 07-05-18, 03:53 AM
Old 07-05-18, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, the first link in the thread takes you to a builder of houses site and the second takes you to a science site.
The thread is from 2011 so no wonder.

Old 07-05-18, 07:20 AM
I am running windows 7 home premium, and it has paint, which is able to re-size, rotate, crop, etc etc. I checked the net and paint is included with W7Pro, so it should be on your computer somewhere.
Try running a search for paint in windows explorer, or check accessories.
Windows 7 is a huge leap from Vista, and the vast majority of us refuse to upgrade to 10, especially gamer's, as 10 is more geared toward users of smartphones as its design and layout are quite similar. Not to mention that 10 is invasive and bloated.
I agree with your refusal to use photoshop for simple edits, even the old versions have a steep learning curve, let alone the new ones, and its freaking expensive as hell (as in the cost of a brand new gaming pc)
Keep looking, I am quite sure paint is there somewhere, and its basic functions will serve your requests.

After some research I found mentions that you may need your install disk. (hopefully you did get an actual W7 disk, as they are nearly impossible to find now without paying HUGE $ for them, they are in high demand)

Last edited by Wick012; 07-05-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 08:45 AM
Old 07-05-18, 09:00 AM
Thanks Hal_S, might just use get that for myself!

Old 07-05-18, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
I have Paint but that is not enough. Mine does not have crop either.

Thanks for that link. I ran into the same problem that everyone else ran into with registry problems.

In that thread was a splinter thread about Microsoft office. I was able to download MS SharePoint designer 2010 and extract MS photo editor from that.

Old 07-06-18, 12:07 PM
I use a photo edit program from Microsoft called Picture It! Photo Premium 9. That photo edit program is one I have found to be very easy to learn and use from the start. It came installed on my old XP computer from 10/12 years ago. Fast forward to last year I finally upgraded to new computer with Windows 10, not an upgrade from 7, and to my delight I installed it on my Win 10 computer and it works without a flaw. So I was able to retire the XP computer which I only was using for the photo edit progran. It has many features such as resize, crop, sharpen/blur, adjust tint, freehand paint, levels of auto fix, etc. So if you search the net you might be able to find it. Some sites show it's avail as a free download. There is also a new version Photo 10, but as I have the CD for 9 and that it more then meets my needs I never tried it so I don't know if it would work with Win 10.
Good Luck.

Old 07-06-18, 07:57 PM
Have you tried Paint.net? It's kind of like Microsoft paint on steroids. Very easy to crop rotate and resize pictures, add text etc. It's also free so it's definitely worth giving it a try.

Old 07-07-18, 08:13 AM
PJmax, I believe the app you're looking for is Office Picture Manager, which is available in the Sharepoint Designer 2007 bundle, which is free from M$. During the install you'll probably want to un-check everything it offers except the OPM.

Something I use because it's open source and multi-platform is Pinta. Very simple to use and somewhat similar to M$-Paint, available for Windows, Leenuks, Mac and BSD.

Closer still is PaintXP, which is the spittin' image of the old Paint but it can be a little buggy.

Old 07-17-18, 03:48 PM
@PJmax - I have a win7 and win10 machine in front of me. Both versions of paint have an "Image" section in the "Home" toolbar that allows me to select&crop or rotate. They do not have other photo type features like red eye and brightness. I have also used and liked paint.net: https://www.getpaint.net/

Side note, I'm finding win10 to be very usable at work and home. Win8 was the tablet focused version that is not highly regarded. Win10 has a tablet/touch mode and desktop mode; desktop mode is very similar to win7. If you have a chance to upgrade to win10 I would recommend doing it because win7 support will end more quickly... might as well 'bite the bullet'

Old 07-18-18, 12:24 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for all the help. It is appreciated.
Right now I've been using Microsoft Office 10 picture editor.
I downloaded the getpaint and will play with it. Looks good. Didn't find basic crop in it.
Photo premium 9 is no longer supported but I see it available from questionable sources.

Fred........ I had downloaded Microsoft SharePoint designer 2010.