Locked out of Win 10 computer

Old 07-19-18, 12:53 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Locked out of Win 10 computer

My brother asked me this question. He forgot his login password and can't access his computer now ,he has tried the NP Password and Kon-Boot ,but they didn't help, Is there anything else he can do ?

Old 07-19-18, 01:07 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Old 07-19-18, 06:17 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Depends on whether the password is Local (PC only) or Windows Account (applies to all MS logins).

First, try restarting the computer once or twice, MS just issued an update Tuesday, you may have to let the updates install and that may requrie a restart before you logon.

Second, I'd try plugging in a different keyboard, or at least shaking the dust and junk out of the keyboard, which can cause you to mis-type.

If it's a local password, and there's no reset disk, the then third option, is brute force password cracking. I've used this at a library where nobody could find the login password for an old computer needed to run a specail scanner, using Ophcrack, which is mentioned in the howtogeek link above-
There are two basic ways to do this,
If it's a "soft" password using A-Z and 0-9 and less than eight charachters long, you might be able to run the cracking program on the locked computer using a 50 GB+ "scrambled password table" on a bootable 64 GB USB drive; boot the locked computer and let it run.
If it's a "strong password" thats longer then eight charachters and uses shifted charachters ~!@#$%^&*()__+ then you'll probably need one of the 400 GB+ password tables, which effectively means running the cracking program on a desktop; you use a bootable USB drive to GET the scrambled password and THEN run the password cracker on a fast computer with a huge hard drive.

Fourth option, there are various paid password-bypass or password delete programs available for $30-50, but I haven't used them, and depending on the computer's encryption setup for drives, that might lock you out of your own files.

Last edited by Hal_S; 07-19-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 11:16 PM
K
I just tried Ophcrack, but it didn't work. It doesn't seem to support Windows 10 , it is Windows 10 Admin password . I checked my keyboard and there was nothing wrong with it ,
And as you said , i can use a bootable USB drive to get the password ,how do i do that ?

Old 07-20-18, 09:02 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
1) You said it was your brothers account that was locked, not yours, is your brother the admin account?

2) If you have access to some OTHER account on the computer, you can try various programs like Ophcrack to grab the scrambled password, and then another program to unscramble the password.

3) The password bypass probrams are listed in the links from passwordunlocker and howtogeek above.

Old 07-23-18, 01:07 AM
K
That is my brothers computer ,I'm just helping him fix his computer ,Unfortunately, we are not experts .

Old 07-23-18, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did he resister with Microsoft when he got computer. if so go to forgot password.

Old 07-24-18, 06:24 PM
K
I asked him , He has never had any contact with Microsoft ,he doesn't even have a Microsoft account .

Old 07-25-18, 02:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If password helpers don't work time for a new install.

Old 07-30-18, 12:28 AM
J
You and your brother know the password reset disk? get it and you are able to remove the password to unlock your computer ,maybe you can create one .

Old 07-31-18, 01:15 AM
K
Thanks for your suggestion ,We are trying.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: